Houston Babies

If they tell you your only option was to pump in the restroom

I have to travel to another office next week.  They are dragging a chair into the womens' restroom for me, that is their solution.  I normally go home two or three times a day to feed Finley.

[Poll]
Finley Anne ~ 11.9.2008
So Tasty, So Yummy

Re: If they tell you your only option was to pump in the restroom

• How many days will you be in that office?
  • Just one day
    Finley Anne ~ 11.9.2008
    So Tasty, So Yummy
  • Loading the player...
  • Pump and dump, just to avoid the hassle of transferring the milk since that's not something you usually do.

Unfortunately, Texas does not have any rules regarding BFing and/or pumping in the workplace, so raising a stink (especially in this economy) may not be the best idea.

• Personally, I wouldn't pump in my companies restroom and they all seem really clean.

I have sat in the back of my SUV and pumped before (as well as nursed) when I have been on the road. It has pretty tinted windows and I would try and park somewhere out of site. I put a baby blanket up in the window and one over me-or use my nursing cover and have at it. My pump has a battery pack or you can buy the car charger.

Just a thought since I know pumping in a bathroom seems rather icky. IMO :)

Good luck! 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I would pump and dump to avoid the hassle of transferring the milk.  If I remember correctly, you have the Lansinoh pump which in addition to the AC adapter also operates off AA batteries.  This give you the option of pumping in your car or anywhere else.

• imagejanelyn:

I would pump and dump to avoid the hassle of transferring the milk.  If I remember correctly, you have the Lansinoh pump which in addition to the AC adapter also operates off AA batteries.  This give you the option of pumping in your car or anywhere else.

I did not know this!  This changes everything...I will probably just drive somewhere remote and pump in the car.

Finley Anne ~ 11.9.2008
    So Tasty, So Yummy
  • I used to sit in the backseat and use my nursing cover with Isabelle. no need to go somewhere "remote".

but I still think it's shitty to make a nursing mother sit in the bathroom. that's just plain gross.

big sister, little brother
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersbr> Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagePAGAS:
    imagejanelyn:

I would pump and dump to avoid the hassle of transferring the milk.  If I remember correctly, you have the Lansinoh pump which in addition to the AC adapter also operates off AA batteries.  This give you the option of pumping in your car or anywhere else.

I did not know this!  This changes everything...I will probably just drive somewhere remote and pump in the car.

It's a great feature and came in handy for me when I had to attend an all day seminar last week. I pumped in the car using a nursing cover to cover up.

GL!

• imagekat.in.the.hat:

Pump and dump, just to avoid the hassle of transferring the milk since that's not something you usually do.

Unfortunately, Texas does not have any rules regarding BFing and/or pumping in the workplace, so raising a stink (especially in this economy) may not be the best idea.

I'd do this too, though I'm sure they'd lose their appetite if their next meal was prepared in the offices public restroom.  I swear, for as far as women have come, we still have such a long way to go. 

• I second pumping in the car.  I pumped in the car so many times that I pretty much lost all my modesty.

• No way I would pump in the bathroom.  Gross. 

The car solution is great.  I haven't done it yet but I love that my pump has the battery pack or AC adapter too.

• I voted to make an issue. I do have to pump in the bathroom at work because there is no other place. The back area to our store is all open so the bathroom is the only private place.

We did set up a chair and table for me. Our bathroom is a single and is very large so I have space. The problem is trying to concentrate and relax to get a let down when people are trying to get in the door.

I have gotten to the point that I just pump when I get home, but man am I engorged. I hit the door and go straight to the pump. But my average work day is only 5-7 hrs every other day.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I guess I don't get it. Your boobs aren't touching anything in the bathroom, nor is the milk, right? I bet the bathroom is cleaned and sanitized alot more often that the inside of our cars. If it were a long term issue, I'd see complaining about it, but for one day, I don't see the problem.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imageKKMMex:
    I second pumping in the car.  I pumped in the car so many times that I pretty much lost all my modesty.

ditto.  i pumped in my car, 2x a day when i returned to work.

• imageMrsMGR:
    I guess I don't get it. Your boobs aren't touching anything in the bathroom, nor is the milk, right? I bet the bathroom is cleaned and sanitized alot more often that the inside of our cars. If it were a long term issue, I'd see complaining about it, but for one day, I don't see the problem.
    My issue with the restroom is for sure the germs.  Like my hand touches something and then touches the pump parts and ick.   Anyone watch American Inventor?  There was an invention on there that was a impenetrable toilet cover.  They showed analysis of what a toilet kicks up germwise when it is flushed and it was horrifying.  And there aren?t even regular lids in public restrooms.  No amount of sanitation would have me comfortable in there.
    Finley Anne ~ 11.9.2008
    So Tasty, So Yummy
  • Just wanted to tell you to test your pump to make sure it will work off its batteries and/or adaptor in your car.  The first time I tried to use mine it didn't work, which turned out to be a royal inconvenience at the time.

• imageMrsMGR:
    I guess I don't get it. Your boobs aren't touching anything in the bathroom, nor is the milk, right? I bet the bathroom is cleaned and sanitized alot more often that the inside of our cars. If it were a long term issue, I'd see complaining about it, but for one day, I don't see the problem.

would you eat a sandwich that someone prepared for you in the bathroom? even if they used a clean cutting board to spread the mayo while they sat on the toilet? probably not.

PAGAS- at my old job, there was no "pumping station" available either, so the pumping mom at the office would go in to an empty conference room to pump. if i were you, i would not make a huge deal, but before you resort to pumping in your car, i would explain that a bathroom is not a sanitary place to prepare your child's food and do they please have a room, conference or empty office, where  you could sit for 15 minutes and pump? perhaps they didn't even think of this as an option? if they refuse, tell them thanks but no thanks and that you would rather pump in your car.

i needed to nurse truitt one time and was at the macy's at memorial city. they have a 'lounge' near the bathroom- but not like the one at nordstrom. it just has some chairs. i tried to go in there and nurse and a cleaning lady told me i had to go in to the rest room and sit in a stall. the language barrier was pretty tough, so after telling her no and why and not having her understand, i went and sat in the middle of the shoe department on a sofa. i NIP all the time and am pretty discreat since i layer over a nursing tank. none of the employees said a word and no customers even batted and eye lash, but when the cleaning lady came out, i thought she was going to have a stroke. her near heart attack was revenge enough for me Stick out tongue

• I voted make a big deal out of it mainly in lines of what rayskit said -- they might not have even thought about it.  Or a lot of people think pumping takes a huge amount of time.

And also -- if we never stand up for ourselves and ask for things to change... they never will.

I'm not saying to be obnoxious about it.  But I would ask for a better option. 

And hey, if the food thing doesn't get them I'd ask them if they'd like to sit in the bathroom smelling other people's sh*t for 15 minutes.  It's crude, but it proves a point.  That might get them.

Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm going to do the car thing, this was a really helpful post for me!  The gov't is not friendly to pumping moms....
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had big issues with this and I made a stink. I seriously was >< this far from going lactivist on them and pumping in the middle of the atrium.

That being my honest approach, I'm not necessarily recommending it...

I did manage to get a room lined up for the next set of mamas.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"