Pennsylvania Babies
Options

BFing diet limitations

I'm hoping someone will have some suggestions as far as different food/meal ideas for me.  I'm feeling frustrated and well... hungry.

Ethan had some really rough days after the first 2 weeks.  It was suggested by the LC to eliminate dairy.  I cut out milk, cheese, and nearly all other dairy.  This was more than 2 weeks ago.  I started using soy milk instead for my cereal.  I LOVE cereal and eat it almost every day for breakfast.

I also cut out caffeine & most tomato products since they seemed to upset his stomach as well.

Ethan had a diaper rash after his first week that we FINALLY got cleared up for maybe a day and now he has another.  This morning I noticed his poop was mucousy.  I called the pedi... they suggested that I cut out dairy.  When I told them that I had already done that they suggested that I cut out soy.  They think the dairy/soy is what is causing his gassiness, mucousy stool, and diaper rash.

I saw rice milk at Wegmans and am waiting for a call back from the pedi to see if that is ok or not.

Anyone have experience with all these diet limitations?

Any meal ideas?  It seems EVERYTHING has dairy in it. 

{Blog}
TTC since Jan 07. Dx with PCOS Jan 08 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: BFing diet limitations

• Options
    Doesn't Lactaid make milk, cheese, icecream and stuff?  If lactose is the problem, maybe you can ask the Dr. about those alternatives.  I'm sorry your diet is so difficult and frustrating.  Hopefully others can offer some better suggestions.
  • Options

I don't have any advice, as I didn't end up having to cut out that much.  I did decide to limit my dairy by cutting out milk and limiting all other dairy, but I still have it in my diet.  I do notice a difference in gassiness (though not anymore really) when I'm not careful and eat a lot in one day.  I wouldn't worry too much about the gassiness.  While it is frustrating and they seem to be in pain I don't think that there is much you can do about it.  Just seems to be one of those things that babies do.  Once he's vertical a little more (sitting supported, etc around 3ish months) the gassiness will subside.  We didn't experience the mucousy stool and diaper rash, but I can understand how that would be troublesome. 

I'd recommend posting this over on the 0-6 month and 6-12 month boards.  There are a lot of ladies over there who've cut out dairy, and I"m sure there is a list of recipes floating around somewhere.  Good luck! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

My only experience with this is from trying to cook for vegans, so I'm not sure how helpful this will be.  A few meal ideas:

Pasta with red sauce. For a slightly less boring twist, I love this recipe: https://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/recipes/no-cook-fresh-tomato-sauce-64922.aspx

Mash potatoes with broth instead of butter and milk. Not quite as rich, but it does the trick. I make shepherd's pie this way just to cut out some calories.

Stir fries. This is a good one: https://www.recipezaar.com/Weight-Watchers-General-Tsos-Chicken-162379

Chili

Vegetable soup

Black bean soup (I have a really good recipe I could dig up if you'd like)

• Options
    Hey Christina, My nephew is 4 months is exclusively breastfed and has stomach problems. My SIL drinks rice milk and eats alot of gluten free things. Just a thought.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"