Pregnant after 35
Options

Re-introducing myself

Hi ladies, I posted here a few months ago when DH and I decided to TTC for #2.  I'm nervously excited to report that we are indeed expecting our second baby!

Background:  My name is Katie.......I was 40 when I got pregnant with our son and 41 when he was born in Aug. 2007.  I was lucky enough to get pregnant again last spring when he was 9 months old, but sadly it ended in a molar pregnancy.  My OB told us we needed to wait at least 6 months before trying again.  That seemed like an eternity to someone like me at 42 years old.  I wasn't sure if we would even try.

Fortunately time heals, and we felt ready.  Believe it or not, I got pregnant our second month trying.  I can't believe this happened so quickly for us -- I will be 43 in April and believe that God is giving us a miracle.

I will be 10 weeks along tomorrow.  We saw the bean and its heartbeat at 6w4d, so I'm cautiously optimistic.  I'm  now struggling with what choices to make about screening/testing offered.  We elected to do none of that with DS, but the simple fact that I'm 2.5 years older and that we had a prior loss is making me rethink things.

Anyway, I'm excited to join you for real.  I've been lurking here for some time and hope to post more.

Justin Thomas joined us on 8.4.07
Tyler Anthony arrived on 9.21.09
imageimage
imageimage
The Chronicles of Justin and Tyler

Re: Re-introducing myself

• Options
    Welcome, congrats & H&H 9 mos to you!!!

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• Options

Welcome, Katie!  Congratulations and a H&H 9 months to you.

Of course making decisions on prenatal testing is quite personal, but in your shoes I'd at least have the NT Scan?and as early as possible?so that I'd be able to have a CVS. 

Even if you would not terminate, a child with Down's Syndrome often has heart problems/other issues that you may want to prepare for. Unfortunately your risk at age 43 is around 1:35 or 1:50 (depending on which website you view). That's just my two cents... ultimately the decision is yours.

Bronx Zoo: Summer 2013

To read my blog, click on the giraffe pic below!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Congrats and welcome! And I wouldn't worry about the screening, the NT Scan is nothin'.  H+H 9 months to you.

ps. Your little boy is a cutie patootie.

• Options

Congratulations! ?It is indeed a blessing! ?I'm sure your doctor will talk with you about testing and things as the PG progresses. ?It is very much a personal decision. ?

DH & I have discussed the testing we will consider due to AMA. ?I'm only going to have bloodwork and an NT scan (Measurements of baby during a sonogram to look for markers or poss. indicators of any problems or chromosomal disorders). ?I don't plan on having an amnio or CVS due to the risk to the baby, and also because it wouldn't change our decision to continue the pregnancy.

Although the risk of problems may be higher based on age, many, many women in their 40's go on to have healthy babies. ?Good luck and welcome to the board!

?

?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Congrats on your little miracle!  we're happy you could join us.... H&H 9 months!  :o)
    image Nicholas Jacob born on 06/30/2009, 9.5lbs and 21 1/4" long Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Joshua Scott 5.3lbs & Jonathan Matthew 6.2lbs, born 08/31/10 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

HUGE congrats, Katie!   Happy to see you back, and a happy and healthy 9 mos to you!

Christine

• Options
    Congrats!!! You can always do the NT scan and bloodwork at 12 weeks. It's non-invasive and those results can help you make a decision about further testing. Good luck!
    Me: 44 DH: 42. DS born healthy at 40 weeks 8/24/09. TTC since then with no luck or ART. Surprise BFP 8/6/14... MMC @ 8 weeks 4 days... Miss you everyday sweet baby angel.
  • Options
    Welcome! That's so great that you got pregnant again so quickly after starting to try. Congratulations on your little one.
  • Options
    Huge congrats to you! 
  • Options

Congrats! 

I'm not currently pregnant, but I do lurk over here from time to time.  I had a partial molar pregnancy in December, and just recently have been diagnosed with Gestational Trophoblastic Disease and started chemo for it last week.  I'm 40 now, and since it morphed into GTD/GTN I am now looking at a year to wait instead of six months.  I just wanted to say you really have encouraged me a little bit with your post. 

Suzanne
    Mama to Lewis Elijah-11/18/05
    and Evangeline Mae - 12/06/07
    and two angels 3/17/07 at 5w and 12/16/08 - 11w partial molar pregnancy with bonus chemo
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Best Kind to Have-blog
  • Options
    Congratulations. One step at a time-try not to worry about amnio or CVS until you get NT scan done & know results. You may have the body of a 30 year old.
  • Options
    Congratulations and welcome! I wish you a H&H 9 months! talk over the screening with your DH and your OB, and make a decision you can be comfortable with. Think about your reasons for wanting them done might also help. Try not to worry too much though!
  • Options
    GREAT news!  Congratulations and welcome. 
  • Options
    Congratulations and that's so great that it happened so quickly, although I am sorry for your loss.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"