Working Moms
Options

Daycare "parents night out" WWYD...

We just started at a center about a month ago and love it so far. Next month they have a "Parents Night Out" planned - for $10 we can drop our kids off from 7-10 on a Friday night. DH and I are debating whether or not we should sign up...

Obviously, this would get us a date night for much cheaper than a babysitter costs. We don't live near family so we get very few date nights, and when we do a babysitter costs a fortune. The kids would be at a safe place that we trust with teachers that know them. My older DD would be with her friends. We only live 5 minutes from the center and would probably go out for dinner/drinks somewhere nearby, so it would be convenient.

Our main concern is that our older DD goes to bed at 7:30 and I'm pretty sure she wouldn't be sleeping there (they have all kinds of fun activities planned) so it would totally mess up her schedule - this could be fine - or could cause a huge meltdown. My little one usually goes to bed at 9:00 but she'll sleep almost anywhere and I'm sure they'd let her sleep in her crib there anyway.

WWYD? Has anyone done a "parents night out" at their daycare before and how did it go?

Re: Daycare "parents night out" WWYD...

• Options

First I wanna say I wish by DC did this!!  I'm jealous!

I think I would give it a try and see how things go.  Even if you drop them off at 7 and pick them up by 9 that gives you 2 hours out for a quiet dinner.  If your oldest gets off schedule you'll have 2 days to get her back on track.

I say try it and see who it goes! 

• Options

Our DCP has done this once - and it was wonderful!  I was concerned about DD and her sleep schedule, but they kept the lights off and put her in a swing to go to sleep.  It was worth it - it was so nice to be out with DH.  We don't have family nearby either.

I think one night will not ruin your older DD.  I think she is old enough to understand that she is going to go to her own 'party'.  Tell your friends that they need to be willing to toss their party plans and put her to bed, though, if need be.

The benefits outweigh the drawbacks.  Go have a great time.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    For one night (and a cheap night out which is rare!!), I'd take a risk of a meltdown and go for it.  We've kept my son up (he's almost the same age as your DD) until 9 or 10 for some parties, special occasions and normally he is a trooper especially when he is kept busy with fun activities.  And sometimes we even get an extra hour of sleep in the morning!  Go for it...  
  • Options
    I would try it!
  • Options

I would definately do it.  If my daycare offered this, I would sign up in a heartbeat!  It's a Friday night, your DD will be fine if she stays up a little late one night.  Do you always make sure she is in bed at 7:30pm? 

Seriously, go out, have fun and enjoy your time with your DH!

Big Brother Logan Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Baby Miles Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Bryan Smith - Freelance Photography Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

Go for it!!

Our daycare had a parent's night a few months after we started at the center.  Our daughter was just under 1 and going to bed around 7 each night.  I thought for sure she would just sleep the entire time at the center, but she got to playing with the big kids and had a blast.  She fell asleep in the car and slept in the next morning.

DH and I went to dinner and a movie and had a wonderful time!!

I love it that our daycare provides this opportunity...everyone should make use of the offer when it is available!!

GL!

Caroline arrived 6/17/2012
    Courtney arrived 9/16/07
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Do it. Date nights make your marriage stronger, and in the long run, a strong marriage is much more important than sticking to a sleep schedule for a night. Have fun!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I would do it in a second. We have no family nearby so we NEVER get a break unless MIL comes to visit. I would just deal with her sleep possibly being affected for that night.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    DD #1 passed away in January 2011 at 14 days old due to congenital heart disease
    DD#2 lost in January 2012 at 23 weeks due to anhydramnios caused by a placental abruption
  • Options
    We've done it and it is great.  I am not a real stickler for schedules though.  His normal bedtime is between 8 - 8:30 but if we're out, we stay out.  I've had him out in restaurants until 10.  He's pretty flexible though and gets right back on track the next night.  Personally, I would do it - great to get out with DH - if it's horrible then don't do it again but at least give it a try!  Have fun!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Go for it! One night won't hurt your older daughter. My DD stayed at my parents overnight and all day the next day when our daycare was closed for President's Day. My mom had our baby that normally goes to bed by 7pm up at 11:30pm watching TV until 1am. She was fine the next night and was asleep in bed by 7pm. No harm done.

Have fun on your night out!

Married to Jon 9-18-2004
    Kate was born 1-26-2008
    Natural m/c on 10-18-09 at 9.5 weeks
    Mira was born 9-14-2010
  • Options

I'm sure your daughter won't be the only kid there who usually goes to bed before 10 PM Smile The daycare is surely prepared for that and knows how to keep the kids busy to avoid meltdowns, and handle meltdowns if they occur!

FWIW, DD usually goes to bed around 8 PM, but we've kept her as late as 10:30 or 11 PM on occasion when we've gone to parties -- as long as there's stuff going on, she's fine.

Go, and have a great time!

Mommy to DD1 (June 2007), DS (January 2010), DD2 (July 2012), and The Next One (EDD 3/31/2015)

• Options
    Yeah, you guys are right - we're going to do it! Thanks for talking some sense into me Smile
  • Options

I'm glad you're going. I think you'd be crazy not to. Just plan for a mellow Saturday and make sure DD gets down for her nap as scheduled or earlier. We leave DD with ILs for our dates, but then pick her up and wake her up to bring her home, and she survives just fine.

Enjoy your date!!!

• Options

Or, you could ask a trusted favorite teacher if they babysit on the side.  That way, your babies are cared for and kept on a schedule.

• Options
    I'm going to ask our director if they'll do this. that is awesome!  I'd totally take a chance on meltdown and do it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Our daycare does this every couple of months - I LOVE it. 

If your DD gets tired, they'll have a designated spot for kids to sleep in.  But if she stays up an hour later than usual one night, it's not that big of a deal........and it's worth it for you and your DH to have a night out.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"