Adoption
Options

***Captain Serious***

Please do steal the donation idea!!! Big Smile We have talked about it and really want our children to be generous and to learn to enjoy and be as excited about giving a gift as receiving one and I think the best way to do that is to have it be part of something ongoing.  We want to do things like take cookies to the ER or Firehall on Christmas Eve to say thank you to the people who are working instead of being at home opening presents an this donation idea sort of fit into that same criteria.  We'll either have it be part of birthday or gotcha day celebrations in our house.
You know what would be great?  You should try to find a clay pot or vase or something from Peru to use as the piggy bank.  That way it's a visual in the child(ren)s room.  Maybe a box covered in some great traditional fabric or something...hmmm now my creativity is going nuts lol

Re: ***Captain Serious***

• Options

I think we will!

I spoke to my husband about this last night.  It's been his hope that one day, when our child is a teen, (s)he will go back to Peru and volunteer in an orphanage.  I keep telling him that that may be too much to hope for, because some IA children go through stages where they don't identify strongly with or want to acknowledge their home country.  I'd hate to push our child into such an in-depth encounter with his/her heritage if they are not completely on-board, you know?

So last night, I suggested this as a way that our child could learn the importance of giving back and honoring his roots without us placing too many demands on him.  He thought it was a good idea, too, so I think it's something we'll end up incorporating.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"