Preemies
Options

Question about visitors and the NICU

Should I be asking my friends who have sick kiddos at home to wait until their kids are no longer sick before they come to visit our boys?  I feel like I'm being a little neurotic about this, but I really don't want to take any chances...

Re: Question about visitors and the NICU

• Options

1st you are not neurotic about this. Even the nurses will tell you to keep everyone away. We are on RSV season and this can be very dangerous to your little ones. I didnt have any of my nephews come to NICU (I dont think they would allow children at my hospital anyways) Once they were out then a month later they saw the babies. DO NOT feel bad to tell someone to wait. A small cold can be a big deal for a preemie.?

by the way congrats!!!?

• Options
    We were very strict about our visitors.  Only immediate family could come in, friends could look through the glass, and if anyone had even a hint of a sniffle they had to stay out.  It's tough, but it's not worth the risk.  Those babies are just too fragile and I didn't want anymore set backs.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    You are definitely not being neurotic...you are just being a great mommy!  Just blame it on the NICU.  Say they don't allow visitors that have been exposed to an illness within the last week.  The most important thing you can do is to keep your precious little ones safe!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    IVF 1=BFP, beta #1 8dp5dt 24, beta #2 12dp5dt 50, beta #3 14dp5dt 88.9
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Weishaars' World
  • Options

Shoot, I should have clarified.  Kids under 6 aren't allowed in the NICU right now (b/c of RSV season), I was just wondering if my friends who have sick kids should be "allowed" to come visit/touch the babies, etc (my friends, NOT their children).  I have no problem with my friends and family touching the babies as long as they aren't sick and make sure to wash their hands really well.  I'm just wondering if their childrens' germs will be spread to them, and then spread to their little ones. 

• Options
    imagelovemy2boys:

Shoot, I should have clarified.? Kids under 6 aren't allowed in the NICU right now (b/c of RSV season), I was just wondering if my friends who have sick kids should be "allowed" to come visit/touch the babies, etc (my friends, NOT their children).? I have no problem with my friends and family touching the babies as long as they aren't sick and make sure to wash their hands really well.? I'm just wondering if their childrens' germs will be spread to them, and then spread to their little ones.?

?

I wouldnt take that risk

• Options
    the only people we allowed into the nicu were our siblings and our parents. ?we told everyone else that for our childrens' safety and for the safety of all of the other babies in the nicu it was best that they didn't visit. ?you're not being neurotic.
  • Options

congrats on your twins!!

I wouldn't feel comfortable having anyone sick visiting my kid in the NICU. No one is going to get their feelings hurt about this, I promise!

• Options

I'm not too worried about hurting people's feelings.  Smile 

Thanks for all of the advice and congrats on our little boys, I really appreciate it!

• Options
    imagelovemy2boys:

Shoot, I should have clarified.  Kids under 6 aren't allowed in the NICU right now (b/c of RSV season), I was just wondering if my friends who have sick kids should be "allowed" to come visit/touch the babies, etc (my friends, NOT their children).  I have no problem with my friends and family touching the babies as long as they aren't sick and make sure to wash their hands really well.  I'm just wondering if their childrens' germs will be spread to them, and then spread to their little ones. 

If they have sick kids, then I definitely would not let them visit.  Again, it's not worth the risk.  We barely even let completely healthy people touch DD.  Babies are soooo vulnerable at that point.

• Options
    I don't think you're being neurotic at all.  My hospital doesn't allow any children that are not siblings of the patient in to the NICU at all.  Also anyone that is a sibling has to go through a health screening each time they visit before being allowed near the babies.  I would absolutely insist they not come even if someone has a runny nose.

• Options
    You are not being neurotic at all. ?I would ask them to please visit when the kids were feeling better. ?Like you said, not worth taking any chances. ?And FWIW, we only had grandparents and my sister and DH's brother visit. No other visitors for the entire time DS was in the NICU.
  • Options
    Don't feel bad about hurting others feelings.  The health of your babies and the others in the NICU are more important.  (I don't mean for that to sound snarky if it does.)  Our NICU actually had a sign out saying that if you had a sick family member in your house not to enter the NICU.  The only way that anyone could get in to see DD was if me or DH was with them anyways. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    YES, YES and YES!!! And you shouldn't feel bad about doing it either!!  If the kids are sick chances are that the adults are carrying the germs too and even if they aren't touching the boys they could get you sick and that is the LAST thing you need right now!
    Emma - March '08 Quinn - August '11
    Need help with high fat food ideas? Chunky Monkey
  • Options
    YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    You are not being neurotic.  We were told by her pediatrician, told NO visitors until she is 10 weeks old.  Also, remember the nicu doesn't house just your babies.  The nicu is home to other vulnerable babies and their families. 
    Photobucket Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

yes!

in our nicu only parents and grandparents could visit. period. only 2 people at the bedside at any given time. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

You are not being neurotic.....

Personally, I would make sure that any visitor...family, friends...whoever has not been around any sick people in general, not just kids. It is just not worth the risk.

• Options

At ours boys NICU, which is the best in the area, during RSV season only immediate family members and grandparents were allowed to enter Oct through April! So nope, I wouldn't let the in at all if they have been around ANYONE sick. They are so fragile and tiny. Not worth the risk, share a photo, it's hard b/c you want to show them off, but stay strong and hang in there, it's for the best. Good luck.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"