Working Moms

"Reasonable Accommodation"

Ok. First of all I'm a gov't employee. At least in my agency, they are pretty big about trying to provide what they call "reasonable accommodation" for medical conditions and disabilities, which includes breastfeeding. So in 2 weeks I'm going to be training on an army base out of town for a week. DD and my mother are coming with me becuase I don't have enough milk to leave her behind. So I'm bringing my pump and I sent a request ahead to ask the training coordinator to arrange for me to have a place to pump during the breaks. I get a flurry of emails this week about it. They are having me rent a second hotel room on the base to use during the day to pump.  (Billet housing or something?) The trainer warns that the room is pretty basic, but I was just floored....Um a small office or something would have been fine.  Heck a closet with an electrical outlet is fine. The Winnebago we will be working out of would have been fine. My boss said to just take it, since they were trying so hard and willing to pay for it. So for all breastfeeding/working moms, I shall enjoy having 2 rooms for a week, as completely silly as it seems. Now hopefully I can resist the temptation to just take a nap in this isolated quiet room.

Not to mention - they are going to pay for me to check 2 bags. Usually they will only pay the first checked bag fee. Breastpump = medically necessisary mdical equipment. It's a nice side bonus that now I have enough room to pack baby gear too with the 2 bags. My boss also claims that if you tell a hotel that you need a refrigerator in the room for medical reasons, such as to store medication, they have to provide it to you free of charge.  You don't have to tell them specifically what, just that it's medically needed. I haven't tested this out fully yet, but I will. My husband has insulin that needs to be refrigerated.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: "Reasonable Accommodation"

• That's great! I had a regularly-scheduled training program once a month from when DD was 6 months to 11 months old, and it was held in a hotel. They were great about giving me a dayroom for free to pump in. It was great! I'm like you, just pleased to have somewhere other than the bathroom or the car to pump... nevermind a place with a comfy chair, a TV, a private sink, a private mini-fridge, etc.!

Also, the hotel that I regularly stay in on my business trips charges $10/day for a fridge, but always waived the fee when I told them it was for medical reasons. (Sometimes they charged me accidentally, but I just reminded them at check out and they removed the charge.) And no, I didn't have to tell them specifically what.

Mommy to DD1 (June 2007), DS (January 2010), DD2 (July 2012), and The Next One (EDD 3/31/2015)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"