Special Needs
Options

XP: Feeding Therapy

Does anyone have an experience with feeding therapy?  We are going to be starting the program at Childrens hospital with DS next week.  He is 16 months old, weighs 18lbs 15 ozs and his percentile has been slowly dropping.  The dr said that his growth curve is becoming more of a straight line.  Any experiences would be great to hear.

Re: XP: Feeding Therapy

• Options

I'm a speech therapist and we often work with feeding. ?It sound like you are going to a hospital program specifically for feeding so I would assume everyone is well-qualified. ?However, you should generally be careful with new therapists, particularly speech therapists. ?

We are not required to be trained in feeding, and not everybody is. ?I personally do not do feeding simply because it is not part of my training or interests. ?In EI, service coordinators are supposed to tell the therapist that the child needs feeding help to make sure the therapist is qualified, but they don't always do it (especially if they are desperate to get somebody in the door). ?I have picked up a new client only to find out that they have feeding needs I am not qualified to address. ?I go back to the service coordinator and have them find somebody new....not everybody would.

There are many speech therapists who are AMAZING with feeding, and I have seen kids show HUGE results from feeding programs. ?Just be careful - not all speech therapists are equal, especially with feeding! ?Best of luck to you and your son - I hope that this program goes well for you!?

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers imageimage
  • Options
    Not sure exactly what you mean by feeding therapy.  Owen is 14 months and is only 16 pounds.  He gets OT and she works on all his feeding issues.  His trouble is mainly with textures( can't tolerate them) He loves to eat but can't handle most things.  I have notice a big improvement in him since starting the OT.  She works on different techniques to get him moving his tongue differently and chewing etc.  Ours is great.  That being said, Owen is getting  feeding tube next week.  He really needs it for us to supplement what he isn't able to eat.  Good luck with the therapy. Love to hear how it goes.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"