Special Needs

Curious if anyone with an Egg Allergy?

A. has an egg allergy.  I took him the other week to get tested again and his egg number went up almost a point (he was first tested in june).  I am really disappointed b/c he was on the low end and if he had gone down 1 point he could start having egg again.  I was very frustrated to hear that it went the opposite way!  Has anyone had any experience with a DC that has a food allergy especially an egg allergy???  If so, how long did it take your DC to outgrow their egg/food allergy?

Re: Curious if anyone with an Egg Allergy?

• My youngest sister has egg & milk allergies.  She's 11 - and sadly they keep getting worse and not better :(  She used to just not be able to eat whole eggs (but she could eat things that contained them like cookies or bread, etc) but now she can't have anything that contains either anymore at all.

Hannah

• I have a very close friend who is 27 and is allergic to eggs. ?She gets very bad stomach cramps and itching if she eats just a little, and gets hives on skin contact. ?Her allergy obviously never went away!

I know it was frustrating to her as a kid to watch what she ate, but honestly it isn't a big part of her life anymore. ?She knows what is likely to contain eggs (and asks lots of questions) when she eats out, modifies her recipes pretty easily, and generally isn't bothered by it. ?It doesn't control her by any means.

Her mom used to make birthday cake without eggs - surprisingly good! ?When she was a kid her big complaint was that she wouldn't be able to eat her own wedding cake! ?At her wedding her parents ordered a small vegan cake so my friend could cut the cake with her new husband :)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • My DD had an egg allergy.  She is 3 now and appears to have outgrown it.  When she was younger, she would break out in hives from just touching an egg.  I didn't think she would outgrow it, but I guess she likes to keep us guessing.  :)

There is an egg substitute powder that works really well as an egg replacer (it's called ener-g - we got ours at Target).  We used it to make birthday cakes, pancakes - almost anythign that calls for eggs.

DD1 - 12.25.05
    (m/c 1.17.07, m/c 5.15.07)
    DS - 03.15.08
    DD2 - 12.03.09
    DD3 - 3.28.11
  • Hi--I'm cranberry27's friend with the egg allergy. She directed me to this post.

I have had the egg allergy since birth. I was breastfed and they knew I had a food allergy, but putting my mother on an elimination diet didn't help to reveal the nature of the allergy. They didn't figure it out until they put me on solid foods.

I have had hives on skin contact throughout my life, though the nature of my allergy has changed over time--pre-puberty, I would vomit almost immediately following consumption of anything containing eggs (max delay would be about 15 minutes). As I grew older, this symptom was replaced by severe stomach cramping that is debilitating and usually only relieved by forced vomiting (not fun). I also have minor throat swelling when I eat eggs but no anaphylaxis. I can usually tell if something contains eggs immediately and then I stop eating that food. It's a pain but cranberry27 is right, it's not life controlling.

When I cook at home, I usually just leave eggs totally out of my recipes and they turn out fine. Some things, like French toast, I can't make at all, but cakes and cookies come out okay without eggs. I have used the Ener-G egg replacer that a PP mentioned before, but honestly I don't notice a big difference from using that vs just leaving eggs out.

As your son gets older, it will be important to train him to ask about whether or not things have eggs in them when he is eating unfamiliar foods. Teach him to never assume food is safe--eggs are tricky and can be anywhere (like in alfredo sauce and saltwater taffy, which you wouldn't expect). My mom used to send me to birthday parties, etc. with my own dessert treat--a popsicle or cookies to eat while the other kids ate cake and ice cream. I ate a lot of cereal for dessert as a kid because it is a safe, sweet alternative to cookies, etc.

The doctors told my parents I would outgrow my allergy during adolescence. They were dead wrong about that! Your son might or might not outgrow his allergy--allergy testing every few years will keep you informed of whether he outgrows it. I hope he does, but if he doesn't, it's definitely a liveable allergy. Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"