Indiana Babies
Options

anyone color their own hair?

I got high- and low-lights last time but she used a semi-perm dark color and it has faded significantly. She also didn't go as dark as I had hoped (not her fault, mine for not explaining well). Now my highlights are growing out enough to where I don't like my root growth. I'm considering getting an at-home, darker brownish color just for kicks.

I used to dye my hair all the time, usually Natural Instincts or Herbal Essences - nothing too dramatic. It's been so long that I've forgotten what to even look for.

Do you have product recommendations? I don't necessarily want to go super permanent, but am open to suggestions.

(Disclaimer: yes, my doctor is ok with me coloring my hair. I've asked.)

Pregnancy Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: anyone color their own hair?

• Options

I use Natural Instincts. I get the same color every time (need to color it again, actually) and touch up as needed. I'm always satisfied with how it turns out! I just make sure I've coated every strand, leave it on for the recommended length of time, wash and go! I always use the permanent color but I don't see why semi- wouldn't be just as effective/easy.

I decided to use at-home color because the salon is so dang expensive and I could no longer justify the expense even though we have the cash. I mean - really. It's just hair. Haha. I never get highlights anymore because it's too high maintenance. 

• Options
    imagejac*n*abe:

I never get highlights anymore because it's too high maintenance. 

I'm right there with you. I hadn't had them in about five years and then suddenly this fall decided to do it again. Can't afford it, not sure why I did it in the first place. Took me FOREVER to grow out the ones I had before, so I should have known how I'd feel about it at this stage. Ugh.

Pregnancy Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I like the Garnier Nutrisse color kit.  The conditioner that comes with it is amazing and I like the depth of color that I get.

I was considering highlights to get rid of the winter blahs so I'm glad you posted this to remind me that I'm too cheap to keep them up.

• Options
    Every.stupid.spring I have the urge to get highlights. Then I restrain myself because I know what a PAIN it is to maintain! I hate it if my hair gets too light so I'd always get highlights, then the next time we'd do lowlights and highlights. Then, allover color and highlights. The cost just became astronomical. No thanks. Haha Smile I'm such a cheapass. At least Abe prefers my hair dark!
  • Options

I always color my own hair so take this FWIW.  I've had a couple stylist tell me that the stuff in the drug store is as good as what they use.

I have no fear when it comes to coloring my hair. If I don't like, I will go back and buy another box and do it the same or next day. 

I have been using Hydrience lately because it's been on sale. Price is what normally determines what I will buy. I also like Nice 'n Easy. Both of these are Clairol products. 

I sometimes use the L'Oreal product that has the color and the highlight all in one box. It runs about $20, but I don't think it's any better than using 2 boxes of the above mentioned. 

• Options
    I do my own highlights. I just buy a lighter color and use my fingers to place the color on the strands I want highlighted.
  • Options
    OMG, Lauren---I almost posted this as I'm going through the same thing.  I've been so tempted to do my own since I won't be able to go into the salon for awhile.  I'm desperate for some color!   LOL...
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    TTC #2 since 9/09 --- mild PCOS; Endometriosis
    IUI x4 = BFN
    IVF = sometime in 2012
  • Options

Agh, I asked my first OB and she said that she wouldn't recommend it  Sad  By no means am I saying that you shouldn't do it, I think it would be ok too, but since Jake heard her say it, he's going to make it stick to it.

I was trying to get back to my original color (med. brown) because the past couple years it just keeps getting lighter and lighter everytime I color it.  I have a really severe root line and I curse at it every morning while fixing my hair.  Smile

Anyway, to your original question.  I used a Clairol at-home kit once and was ok with the results after a little work.  It came out a little purple/red, so I had to strip it with clarifying shampoo and VO5 oil.  Eventually it returned to a more normal shade.  For me the hardest part was trying to choose a color.  The actual application was really easy.

• Options
    They sell root touch up kits that might work for you--I think nice & easy maybe?  They have them at CVS.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"