Pennsylvania Babies

Still pregnant

I still can not believe I am still pregnant. My original due date was Feb. 21 then they changed it to the 24th then they changed it to the 25th then they changed it back to the 21st so it's been a whirlwind of not knowing exactly when this baby was going to come. I just had my doctors appointment today and I was only 1 cm dialated and 80% effaced. So I'm no where near labor it feels like. I was a little upset when I had to schedule to be induced for Monday since I have heard nothing but scary stories about being induced. I guess you can't plan for everything.

If anyone has any stories to share about being induced please feel free to share cause I'm very nervous about it if I don't go before Monday.

You ladies always do a great job of listening and I have followed all of your stories. Thanks so much for listening.

Re: Still pregnant

• I'm right there with you. My doctor told me today that my induction is scheduled for Monday evening.

She told me typical inductions last 24-48 hours...I've been nervous all day too.

Sorry I don't have any advice!

• I did want to say that at least you've started dialating and effacing - it will probably make your induction go smoother than someone that's completely closed.

Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • I have no advice, just wanted to say good luck.  I hope everything goes smoothly. 
  • I don't have any induction advice but wanted to send positive thoughts & say that it could happen at any time.  I wasn't dilated at all at my OB appt just days before I went into labor.  My OB was talking induction as well.  When I arrived at the hospital in labor after my water broke I was only 1cm dilated.  You never know!  Good luck and I hope you get to meet your baby soon!
    {Blog}
    TTC since Jan 07. Dx with PCOS Jan 08 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had a wonderful induction, but if you consider a c-section a scary story then you should stop reading.

I was induced because I had a very difficult pregnancy and I could have lost the baby on two occasions. The docs felt that at 38 weeks that it was time for him to come out, that any longer we'd be pushing our luck. So at my last appointment I was a fingertip dilated, and they scheduled me for gel on a Wednesday and Pitocin on a Thursday. Went in Wednesday morning and was 1 cm. Got the gel and left to run errands with a plan to come back at 2:00 for a second gel. Went to lunch, where my water broke. Went back to the hospital around 12:30 p.m. and they started pitocin. At that point I was 2 cm. Contractions were fine, and continued to be fine with the pitocin (I do have a high pain tolerance though). Finally they asked if I wanted an epidural and I said sure becasue I DID want one eventually, even though contractions were still OK. After 7 hours I still had not dilated past 2 cm and the baby was still very high up there. So we did a c-section. Amazingly we spent the last two months of my pregnancy doing everything we could to keep this baby inside and when it was time, he didn't want to come out! But I had a c-section and it was fine. Recovery was fine and I think I had one of the best birth experiences there could be. Horrible pregnancy, great delivery! For me the worst part was the epidural, but that's becasue I have a lot of blood vessels in that area and the doc was having trouble getting the right spot. Total fluke. But once it was in, it was heavenly.

Good luck!

• Honestly, I would be asking if the induction is really necessary.  I would ask if you or the baby is in danger, or if you can continue to wait.  I know that there are reasons to be induced, but there are also plenty of doctors who induce just because it's convenient.  And those checks about how dialated and effaced you are have nothing to do with how soon you might go into labor-- you can go from 0 to ready to give birth in no time.  Good luck.
  • Induction can be more painful than regular labor, but if you have an epidural, it helps significantly! ?A friend of mine opted to not be induced and let her body run its course, and she was able to go naturally about a week and ahalf after her due date, even though it was tough to wait...she was so happy she waited!
  • I had to smile at your subject line b/c I totally remember feeling that way! I had an appt. on my due date, but wasn't very far along. I was so uncomfortable and it was August, so that really didn't help things. I had a very easy pregnancy without complications, so this was the most complicated part of it all. I had a stress test done and had to wait for the dr. to call. When she called, she explained that we should schedule an induction soon for a few reasons - one being b/c of the amount of weight I had gained throughout pregnancy (I gained almost 50 pounds!) We scheduled the induction for that Monday and I didn't have much progress during that waiting period. I came in to the hospital at 8:00 AM and they hooked me up to a few IVs, including pitocin. I started to feel some contractions (for the first time), and thought "wow, these are nothing!" Around noon, the dr. broke my water and shortly after I understood why contractions are so painful! I got an epi. and was calm as a cucumber for awhile. Since I wasn't able to eat anything after midnight and was used to food (as you can tell by my weight gain), I started to get sick. I had some moments while I was progressing that I was throwing up. Since I had an epi., my husband had to hold me up, my mom held a pan for me, and my MIL held my hair back - a bit of an embarrassing experience to share w/ your ILs. I was progressing very nicely until I was 9 cm. (this is around 9:00 PM). The dr. said he'd be back in 15 mins. to see if I progressed any further. When he returned, he told me that the baby had turned and was now stuck. He said the baby would have to be delivered via c-section and he was going to get the team ready. Everyone was ready within 15 mins. and I was being wheeled to the OR. The c-section went very smoothly. I wasn't sure what to expect - I had never been admitted to the hospital, so it was my first experience sitting in a hospital bed, being hooked up to IVs, and being in an OR. The anestegiologist stayed by my head the entire time and kept talking to me and telling me jokes. I continued my throwing up phase while the c-section was taking place. The anestegiologist took care of that as well. Amazingly, once Andrew appeared, I did not throw up. The longest part was waiting to be stitched so I could see my baby. I had a very healthy baby - he was big (9 lb. 8 oz. and 21.5 inches). Recovery was easy, too. Good luck in your last days and I'm sure things will work out just fine.
  • I was induced due to the possibility of low fluid.  I was induced on a Thursday evening, my body was no were near ready so they had to use cervidil to try and help me dialite and such.  I went through 2 1/2 rounds of that until anything..Saturday morning FINALLY, they broke my water and from there, with pitocin, went pretty smoothly.  Around 6pm, I was fully dialated and by 7 they had me start to push, however after around 1/2 hour to hour Natalie's heatrate would keep jumping around and due to the pain and how tired I was from being in the hosptial since Thursday I decided to go for a c-section...to find out later Natalie was in the birth canel with her head cocked so there was no way she was coming out natural anyways..overall I would do a csection again, however I wouldn't want to be induced again..lol
  • I was induced with my first since she was almost 2 weeks late.  It actually went really smoothly.....and you are actually much further along than I was.  I was only fingertip dilated at the time.  I went in for the cervical gel at 1 pm, and was able to return home.  I started contractions on my own by 5 pm, my water then broke on its own, and I went into active labor shortly thereafter.  I had my baby late that night.  All in all, it was only about 8 hours of labor, and I have absolutely no regrets about being induced. 

Good luck to you!  Your little one will be here before you know it!

• I was induced for high bp one week before my due date.  I ended up going into labor off of just the prostaglandin gels, and never needed pitocin.  Here's the whole story:

https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/8545408.aspx

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I wasn't induced, but I just wanted to say good luck. 

And who knows what can happen between today and Monday! 

• Good luck!!! Hopefully you'll go into labor on your own before monday and not even have to worry about the induction!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"