D.C. Area Babies

Any Recs for OB's who deliver at Reston...

besides Perfectly Female?

Sorry, because I know this question gets posted all the time.

My sister and I have both been using Perfectly Female for about 3 years.  My sister miscarried at 11 weeks yesterday and had the new doctor, Dr. Franklin.

She was AWFUL.  My sister never complains about anything and does not mind a straightforward bedside manner (she's a doctor herself and tends to give most in her profession the benefit of the doubt).

Dr. F did not bother to introduce herself or say anything remotely close to "I'm sorry for your loss."  Without even looking up from her paperwork, she asked for blood type and walked away.  My sister started bawling.  After meeting with an NP (Laurie, who as usual was wonderful) she headed over to the hospital for the D&C.

Dr. F did not even bother to explain the procedure, ask if she had any questions, nothing.  My sister knew the anesthiologist and talked to him for awhile.  Dr. F came in and said it was time to get started...the nurse suggested that they wait for my sister's husband to get there but the Dr. said that since my sister was the one who wanted the procedure done that day, it was going to happen NOW.

When my sister woke up, she asked to see the Dr.  The Dr. refused to even come back in to answer questions or see how she was doing.

So my sister is meeting with Dr. Felluca next week to explain her experience and let her know that she will be looking for another practice because she never wants to see Dr. Franklin again.  I told her she may as well let Dr. Felluca know she just lost two patients.  

My sister is actually worried about finding a new Dr. now but I told her that, thanks to the Nest, it probably won't be that difficult.  :)

Sorry this is so long...I'm just really upset that she had to experience all of this yesterday.   

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Any Recs for OB's who deliver at Reston...

• Wow...I don't even know what to say to that. I'm so sorry for her loss and that she had such a horrific experience. I love my doctors but I can't in good conscience recommend the practice right now because they are extremely short staffed.

If she wants to check them out in the future, it's Women Physicians of Northern VA, but I'd actually be switching right now if I wasnt' so close to my EDD due to scheduling nightmares, etc. The bedside manner is great, but they are just overwhelmed right now and the office staff isn't always the most pleasant or organized!

Thank goodness you were there for your sister - is there somewhere she can report the situation other than to the practice? I've never been through that experience myself but the way she was treated just seems beyond ridiculous.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • that's horrible! I have to say PF has gotten worse ever since Dr. Santiago left a couple of yrs ago. Felluca is great and the NPs are wonderful (although Janie left) but I am not a big fan of Dr Ambrose (Dr Born also left) and now I hear this about Dr Franklyn - boo!

I like Dr Wilson (she only practices in Ashburn) but she only sees non-pregnant patients

she/you should post her experience on https://www.ratemds.com/social/

she should also talk to Barbara, the office manager and let her know what happened

• Loading the player...
  • This just makes me even happier that I left PF after my first trimester this time. I'm so sorry that your sister went through all that. I switched to Loudoun Community Midwives and they deliver at Loudoun so that might not help you all. I really like them though, if you are open to switching hospitals. I'm not sure if you know... Dr Patel (from PF back before all the changes) still delivers at Reston. She works for Physicians for OBGYN Care: https://www.physiciansforobgyncare.com/

I actually left that practice at the start of my first pregnancy. Prior to pg I had only seen Dr Cauble and I LOVED her. I had some complications and had several appts in the first few weeks. I saw Dr Rausch for all of them and didn't like her at all so I decided to switch. I almost switched back when PF changed though. I figured I liked Dr Patel a lot (she delivered DD too) and I liked Dr Cauble a lot so 2 out of 3 didn't seem so bad, esp compared to wat PF has become. I'm glad I found LCM because my views of pregnancy and birth are more in line with midwifery anyway and I've been very happy there. But if I hadn't, I would have considered going back to Physicians for OBGYN Care.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thank you both...Sofka, she did talk to Barbara this morning for awhile and at her suggestion, just finished up a letter detailing her experience.  She said she actually felt better after putting it in writing.  I think having such a horrible experience with her doctor just compounded the emotions of the loss.  I will pass along that ratings site to her and suggest she add to that as well.

Vtmezzo, I'll ask her if there is somewhere else she can report this...I was talking to her this morning and there is a standard of care issue since the Dr. never explained the procedure or what to expect afterward to her, which is unacceptable. 

• I don't have any suggestions, since I'm a PF patient, but I just wanted to say how sorry I am for your sister's loss, and for her horrible experience.  Now that Dr. Born and Janie are gone (I didn't know about that!), I guess I am going to start shopping, too.  I love Dr. Felluca, but I'm starting to wonder if she isn't very difficult to work with.  She seems to be the only constant variable in the practice.
  • Don't go to Women's Pysicians of Nova! I had a HORRIBLE m/c experience with them that made me switch to PF.
  • Thank you both...Sofka, she did talk to Barbara this morning for awhile and at her suggestion, just finished up a letter detailing her experience.  She said she actually felt better after putting it in writing.  I think having such a horrible experience with her doctor just compounded the emotions of the loss.  I will pass along that ratings site to her and suggest she add to that as well.

Vtmezzo, I'll ask her if there is somewhere else she can report this...I was talking to her this morning and there is a standard of care issue since the Dr. never explained the procedure or what to expect afterward to her, which is unacceptable. 

• I don't know how I ended up posting the same thing twice...sorry about that.

Karenbird, I also have been wondering if Dr. Felluca is difficult to work with, since there is such a turnover rate.  But then I also wonder if the turnover rate is because of the small size of the practice and the hours they all need to work.

I was in the hospital Thursday morning through Sunday when DS was born, and Dr. Born was there the entire time with one short break Sunday morning to go home and see her daughter...I was really impressed but also could really understand when she went to another practice that hopefully has a better call schedule. 

• Wow..I am sorry for your sister's loss and the exp she had. Like a pp I go to Women's Physicians of NOVA and love them..been going for 8 yr and they delivered my daughter. i see Dr. Gloria Ivey-Crowe - she is wonderful.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • image*ANS*:
    Don't go to Women's Pysicians of Nova! I had a HORRIBLE m/c experience with them that made me switch to PF.

ANS - I'm sorry for your loss and the bad exp you had but do you mind me asking which Dr you had an issue with?

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageMrsKLS:

image*ANS*:
    Don't go to Women's Pysicians of Nova! I had a HORRIBLE m/c experience with them that made me switch to PF.

ANS - I'm sorry for your loss and the bad exp you had but do you mind me asking which Dr you had an issue with?

Oh this was a few years ago before I had Carter. I can't remember the doctor but it wasn't ivey. I also had a horrible experience with a nurse, she's one of the main nurses in Ashburn.

• I love Drs. Diane Barrett and Denita Speyer.  They were wonderful with my m/c (Dr. Barrett is very direct and Dr. Speyer is very compassionate, both of which I appreciated) and subsequent pregnancy.  They have an office in Reston, right on the hospital campus, and an office in Sterling.  The office staff is fantastic in both locations.
  • Oh, and I'm terribly sorry about your sister's loss. :(

You can send her over to the Sticky Babies: https://stickybabies.lefora.com.  She can just tell them that she was referred by Slytherpuff. 

• I see Dr. Patel (who works with Cauble and Rausch) and had a great experience.  I had a complication at the beginning of my 3rd trimester that resulted in a couple weeks of hospital bed rest and a premature birth.   Dr. Patel and Dr. Rausch went out of their way to stop in to see me at the hospital before their appointments in their office or stop by to see me at lunch.   I can't say enough nice things about that practice.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"