Northern California Babies
Options

Who is practicing Elimination Communication?

Just curious to see if any of the newer moms are practicing or plan to?

If you are, how has the experience been for you so far?

Re: Who is practicing Elimination Communication?

• Options

::sigh:: I 'sort of' am.?

When she needs to poop (and shows me signs) I take her to the potty (we bought her one of the infant ones) and hold her in 'the position' (her back against my belly, holding her knees to her chest over the potty and I keep saying "poop, poop'

From there, she goes. For the most part. It's hard to get her pants and diaper off but she's gone about 80% of the time.

?

I've never read the books, I've only gone based on what questions I asked you and what I've read online.

?

?

ETA: (cooking dinner, uploading pics)

I don't do it full time because it's nearly impossible trying to explain it to the DCP... though I have taught her the poop position. I also haven't worked on peeing yet. But hope to get there soon... now that she's crawling, and (as of today, standing) I'm trying to figure out how to incorporate 'we go in here to potty' into the mix...

• Options
    any suggestions? ;)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have thought about it, but quite frankly don't have the time to devote to it and DH isn't really on board.
  • Options

The whole idea behind EC is that our children are born with the ability to understand their bodily functions and needs, they just don't have the ability to communication to express those needs. Putting them in diapers causes them to lose that connection to their function and a big part of potty training is reteaching that connection.

A big part of EC is the communication aspect. Most people who practice EC have some kind of oral cue, (like "psssss") while baby is peeing. Signing is also huge for EC. I would definitely start signing and adding the sign for toilet into your list of signs.

I think that even if you're only ECing part time, you're still totally helping with keeping her in touch with her functions.  Just make sure you're working on the communication part as well.

The Diaper Free Baby does have a section about ECing part time. I could let you borrow it, though I will want it back at somepoint when we have #2.

• Options
    You already know that I'm on board but I just wanted to let anyone considering it that it isn't has hard or time consuming as it seems.  You can determine how much and how often you would like to practice it.  In the beginning some moms just allot one hour of "air time" per day until they are ready to take the next step.  There are "steps" you don't need to dive in head first.  I second the Diaper Free Baby.
  • Options

imagekittylove:
    I have thought about it, but quite frankly don't have the time to devote to it and DH isn't really on board.

my DH isn't on board, either. In fact, he laughs at me when I'm sitting there with her. But, each time, I take him the diaper and say SEE??!?!?! And, I continue to remind him that the less time she's in diapers, the less time he has to change them ;)?

I don't do it a lot because obviously, I'm a working mother and I don't see Jenna a lot. However, when she *needs* to poop, I've got this as a tool. I like that.

I'll keep working on the communication aspect of it. At least, if nothing else, I can get the DCP to start saying the 'cues' should she notice the pees and poops as they're?occurring. And, MrsI.... I can't imagine going diaperless! But maybe that's something I can work towards shortly.

Thanks, ladies! ?

• Options
    imagewe-love-to-try:

imagekittylove:

my DH isn't on board, either. In fact, he laughs at me when I'm sitting there with her. But, each time, I take him the diaper and say SEE??!?!?! And, I continue to remind him that the less time she's in diapers, the less time he has to change them ;) 

I think having DH read some good blogs about EC "success" can help. If not get them on board, at least not laugh at you. 

My friend Ashley's blog is a great one. 

https://twwly.com/elimination-communication/

• Options
    Can it be too late to start??
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    br
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersbr>
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    I have to say that I have never heard of this before! I am intrigued and will be checking out some books on it. Interesting!
  • Options

imagesoon2Bkranz:
    Can it be too late to start??

Libs, we started pretty late (15 months) but by 20 months he was pooping exclusively on the potty. I know that isn't super early, but considering that most boys are going on potties late (3 years?)  these days, I would say that is  pretty good. For us, the end goal of being potty learned was never the main focus. Our focus has always been on communication of needs. I plan to start much earlier with #2, as soon as breastfeeding is well established.

Again, in the book Diaper Free Baby there is a chapter about starting late. 

• Options
    I'm highly considering  trying! I've started looking into it a little recently.
  • Options
    I've done some reading about it and have a copy of the diaper free baby that a friend gave me.  Honestly, I'm a little freaked out by it!  But I'm also freaked out about having a boy in diapers until he's 3....  So, I may give it a try.
  • Options
    It's not too late to start ever, but there are typically better windows of opportunities at some times -- 6 mo, 12 mo, and 18 mo.
  • Options
    I had never heard of such a thing, interesting!  I am checking out Diaper Free Baby.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"