D.C. Area Babies

When do you "book" a doula?

How far along in pregnancy should you find a doula and sign up for her services? ?Also, any recs for doulas that deliver at VHC?

Thanks!?

Re: When do you "book" a doula?

• I'm planning to book our doula through the hospital (Holy Cross), so no help there. Can you ask your ob for recs?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC #2: BFP 12/17/11, m/c 1/7/12 and D&C 1/12/12

baby blog/cooking blog
    Follow Me on Pinterest

• I'd think you'd probably want to start looking sooner than later, just because you'd want the chance to meet with a few, if possible. I'm sure you know this one, but try www.dona.org to find one. The only one I know of is my current yoga teacher, but she's in MD, so I don't know if she works with VHC. Let me know if you want her contact info, though.
  • Loading the player...
  • my birth assistant doubles as a doula (they are called birth assistants when it's an out-of-hospital birth, but if we were at the hospital, she would have been called a doula). she was wonderful and i highly recommend. she was also our bradley instructor, so she's very pro-unmedicated birth...not sure if that's your thing. breastmilk rocks (together as one word) AT hotmail

ETA: and, it's never too soon!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I started looking for mine at 20 weeks and booked one at 24 weeks.  Not sure if that was early or late, just when it happened.  I ended up only talking to one because the other recommendations I got the women either didn't birth at my hospital or didn't get back to me.  My OB recommended mine.
  • I am a doula. I try to schedule vacations and such around client's due dates, so for me, personally, the more notice I have, the better. I don't think it's ever too soon to start interviewing doulas, because it gives you more time to develop a rapport with them.  Hope this helps!
  • imageirubyou2:
    I am a doula. I try to schedule vacations and such around client's due dates, so for me, personally, the more notice I have, the better. I don't think it's ever too soon to start interviewing doulas, because it gives you more time to develop a rapport with them.? Hope this helps!

?

Thanks for the info :) Do you deliver at VHC? ?If so, can you PM me??

• imageLindseyJW:

my birth assistant doubles as a doula (they are called birth assistants when it's an out-of-hospital birth, but if we were at the hospital, she would have been called a doula). she was wonderful and i highly recommend. she was also our bradley instructor, so she's very pro-unmedicated birth...not sure if that's your thing. breastmilk rocks (together as one word) AT hotmail

ETA: and, it's never too soon!

Thanks - I emailed her. ?We'll see what she has to say :)?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"