Philadelphia Babies
Options

Anyone deliver at Penn Hospital recently?

I just took the Childbirth class their yesterday. ?Apparently they are still doubling up people in PP rooms b/c of?construction. ?This scares me more than labor. ?What was your experience like?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Anyone deliver at Penn Hospital recently?

• Options

I delivered there in July and my first "roommate" was terrible!  It was night one and i was pretty upset about it!  But I told the nurse in the morning and she was awesome! She moved me to another room within a hour.  It was great!  I was sad at first that my DH couldn't stay but now I am kinda glad.  My baby and I had one on one bonding time that we wouldn't have had otherwise.  It was just her and I!  I stayed up with her all night and when he came in the morning (well before visiting hours) I slept while he spent time with her.  It was great. I needed that...I needed to connect with her because we didn't limit visitors when we got home (HUGE MISTAKE that I will NEVER do again!!!!!!).  Just the two of us was a very special time.

I'll tell you what, I would deliver there again, even with the roommates because the nursing staff was so great! 

It's not the best but I wouldn't stress too much about it.  The time you're there is so short that in the long term...it's not the end of the world.

• Options

It's good to hear a positive story. ?I just don't play nice with others in times of stress and prefer my alone space...especially for something as HUGE as recovering from childbirth.

Good point about the bonding time. ?I guess you can just always sleep during the day once DH arrives. ?(I probably won't be able to sleep that first whole day anyway.)?

I`m just a little annoyed b/c their construction was supposed to be done by the end of Feb....and it's not gonna be. Grrr.

Anyway, I`d love to hear more stories if anyone has them.?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I don't play nice either but how I responded during labor and delivery was very different than I expected.  By the time she was here, I was so elated that a roommate couldn't have ruined it for me. 

I didn't think I would be able to sleep but I had a natural childbirth and I was in labor all night and I was soooooo tired that I actually did sleep!

I don't know what it's like for other women but everything about me was different while in labor and once she was born (and even still!).  When I'm in pain, I'm mean, not during labor and delivery.  I was shocked at my own behavior! Perhaps she mellowed me out a little???

Well good luck and don't stress...when your little one is here, very little else will matter!

• Options

Are you talking about the Penn near 13th and Pine?  I delivered there last time and we are NOT going back.  I was very unhappy with the them for multiple reasons. 

The nursery is on a different floor than the recovery rooms, which I was very uncomfortable with.  We were told during out tour that the baby's care would be administered in our room, only to be told IN labor that they only do that IF they aren't too busy. 

They took DS for hours down to the nursery and took me to the recovery room.  I HATED not knowing what was going on with him, my husband of course went with the baby.. so I felt pretty ok with that.   I was left completely alone for a few hours while he was there, no-one even brought food for a few hours.  Finally I was brought a sandwhich w curdled mayo. 

They also gave my son formula w/o permission and our first nurse was an absolute beast...

Of course if you're talking about a different location.. all of this may be meaningless to you ;)

• Options
    I thought the main hospital at 8th and Spruce was where you deliver? I will be delivering at Penn hospital also (in September) and it seems ridiculous to have to share a room after giving birth. Does the hospital have more than one location to deliver babies?
  • Options

imageNicC!:
    I thought the main hospital at 8th and Spruce was where you deliver? I will be delivering at Penn hospital also (in September) and it seems ridiculous to have to share a room after giving birth. Does the hospital have more than one location to deliver babies?

No it was 8th and Spruce,  I don't know why I typed 13th, just a mental glitch on my part.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"