D.C. Area Babies

did anyone get rid of pets after having the baby?

i feel horrible and i never wanted to be that person, but i have come to realize that i cannot handle my zoo any more.  i am thinking of getting rid of my lizard.  i will still have the fish tanks, turtle, and cat, but i just have neglected the lizard too much.  i love her, but i just feel like she would have a better life somewhere else.

Re: did anyone get rid of pets after having the baby?

• I did & I know people flame like crazy for it, but it's something I felt we HAD to do. I had a cocker spaniel that was getting older, had been known to snap in the past, and was used to being the one and only in my life. We moved, my work schedule changed, and add to that my DS, the poor dog was at home alone, in her crate from 7am until at least 7pm, sometimes later. I found an orgination that places elderly cockers and she went to a great home. I'm sure she's happier now that she has someone with more time to focus on her. For me, I was really scared to have my DS learning to crawl, walk, and get into everything with her around knowing that she has snapped at people/children in the past. I was attacked by our family dog growing up so I'm kind of leary of animals and children being together anyway and I didn't want to take the chance. It has turned out best for everyone involved I think. My dog is in a better home for her needs, my DS has the run of the house, and I don't worry about a confrontation. We do still have fish though.
  • That's tough - have you thought about giving your lizard to a local school/science teacher? That way you know he'll get plenty of attention and care!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I have a little zoo myself (lizards, frogs, dogs, fish...) I was never one to spend 'time' with my lizards, they're just... there.  I like them, I take care of them, but I've never taken them out to play.  The frogs are the annoyingest, they don't do much and their tank is really hard to clean becuase it's really high (what was I thinking!) and I have to stand on a chair to reach the top.

We did make the decision after S was born that we do need help handling everything that we've got going on.  DH and I looked at the things that we do on a day to day basis and determined which ones we hated doing the most.  And we hired someone to come and clean the house - so that we could have time to spend doing the things that we actually enjoyed doing.  If finding a new home for your lizard takes some of the stress off of you, then maybe that's what you have to do.

• I just wanted to lend my support.  Don't feel too guilty - it's a tough decision but if it's the right thing to do for everyone, it's the right thing to do.
  • no, but there are days I wanted to.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • DH and I adopted(fostered) a dog about this time last year, and we made it a temporary foster situation rather than a permanent adoption because I quickly realized that there was no way I would be able to handle that particular dog as well as children someday.  We were not even TTC but that was one of the (numerous) reasons that we chose to let the dog find a more suitable, forever home.  Even though it was a wrong fit for both us and the dog we were devastated to let him go... but you have to do what is right for you and what is right for the animal.  Don't let anyone talk down to you for whatever decision you make, it will be the right one for you, your family, and your lizard.

• DH would never ever agree to it - we have 2 Huskies

my fear is that DD will put their food in her mouth and choke, Huskies tend to leave piles of food for themselves all around the house

• I've already said our cat is gone if he bites our future children.  He will have a nice happy life at my mom's house with 3 acres to run around outside and I know he will be taken care of.  He bites me now as it is.  Last thing I need to get is cat scratch fever & all its gonna take is for him to bite a kid once and he's gone. 
    image Uploaded with ImageShack.us Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • We've seriously been considering it, its hard to keep up with everything. I think with our pets though the shock would be awful to them and i would feel too bad. They are older, 5,9, and 11.
  • I've thought about it more than once, but I don't think I could ever go through with it.  I'd feel too guilty. :(
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"