Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Fundal massage after C-Section?

Hello!

I had a scheduled C-section with my DS because he was breech. I'm having another C-section in 5 weeks. I have been talking with other girls about recovery and I mentioned the painful fundal "massage" a nurse would do by pressing and kneeding hard on my belly. I told her that I had a C-section and she kept going. I found it very painful. Anyway, every other girl that I have spoken with said they did not have that done after their C-section. I had terrible pain for weeks, unlike my friends. What was your experience with this?

Re: Fundal massage after C-Section?

• Didn't have a fundal massage.
  • Yes, I had several of those.  It seems irresponsible not to do it.  They are checking that the uterus is involuting like it should.  Maybe your friends just don't remember right?

Anyway I had a very easy recovery.  Fundal massage has nothing to do with how easy your recovery is.

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I had that done after my c-section. It was extremely painful whenever the nurse did it, but I didn't have any pain from it after I left the hospital.
  • I had this done multiple times a day while in the hospital.... But I also had huge clotting issues. I actually would pass large clots the first 2 days after when they would press down. I agree it was the worst pain. After the first day I had them give me my pain meds 30 minutes before the "massage" so that they would begin kicking in before they started.

It sucked big time.

• I don't think I had a fundal massage. Maybe you can talk to you OB about this and specifically request for it not to be done.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Yes I had it with both kids. Painful but I don't think it has anything to do with how hard your recovery was.
    imageimage

9/24/2011 Plymouth Firefighters 5k: 47:13
    11/12/2011 Diva Dash 5k: 45:45
    5/5/2012 STEM school 5k TBD Coming up in 2012:
    6/10/2012 Walk to Remember SIDS foundation 5k
    (in memory of a sweet baby boy)
    11/10/2012 Diva Dash 5k
  • Yes, both times.  It was uncomfortable but thanks to my IV meds didn't hurt tremendously.  They only do it the first 24 hrs.  I had great recoveries so I don't think it affected me for weeks.
    J1 1.19.07
    J2 11.17.08
  • I had it done in the hospital as well, but no pain from it afterwards!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imageiris427:

Yes, I had several of those.  It seems irresponsible not to do it.  They are checking that the uterus is involuting like it should.  Maybe your friends just don't remember right?

Anyway I had a very easy recovery.  Fundal massage has nothing to do with how easy your recovery is.

Yes. this! I'm a postpartum nurse and we must check everyone's fundus all the time, it's to make sure your uterus is contracting and returning to the place it needs to be, it's to make sure you're not hemmoraging! We actually check c/s patient more often then vag patients. c/s every 15 min for an hour, then every hour for an hour, every 2 hours for 2 hours, then every four hours for 24 hours, then every shift until discharge!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"