Birth Stories
Options

VBAC deliveries? I'm scared...

My DD was a vaginal delivery, than my DS was a c/s (planned due to an  infection I had that made it unsafe to deliver him vaginally).  As much as I don't really want another c/s, I am secretly terrified of having a vbac.  My c/s was 2 years ago and it is still tender if you push on the scar (or if my jeans are too tight, etc).

What were your experiences? 

Re: VBAC deliveries? I'm scared...

• Options

I had a c-section with DS. It went very well. I didn't feel like I was missing out on anything buy not having a vaginal birth and I healed quickly. I was pretty much back to normal after two weeks. This time the doctor gave me the choice of trying for a vbac or another c-section. He explained the risks of both and I decided for another c-section. I had one before but I also have some health issues that make it preferable. Things went really well last time so I felt another c-section was the best choice for me.

Why are you scared of having a vbac? Are you afraid of ending up with another c-section or is there something about the vbac itself that is scary for you?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I am not worried at all about having another c-section - infact, I would almost prefer it because my recovery was awesome and I felt normal waaaay earlier than when I had a vaginal birth.  I guess I'm just scared that the previous incision isn't going to hold or that it is going to be alot more painful because of it.  The incision doesn't bother me about 95% of the time, but it hurts when my DS flops down in my lap or when my dog jumps up and his paws hit right there.  I can't imagine what it would feel like having contractions with it.  Maybe I am just freaking myself out.  I kinda feel like I'm obligated to attempt a vbac because medically I don't have a good reason not to.  Haven't talked to my dr yet, but I'm pretty sure she won't let me have a cs with out attempting the vbac first, as long as everything looks okay.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    You can read my vbac birth story below. My c-section was 22 mos. before my vbac and was an emergency one. I didn't plan on having a vbac. In fact I was getting ready to go to my c-section when I my water broke and I went into labor. I progressed so fast, that when I got to the hospital I decided to go for it. You already had a previous vaginal delivery. Plus your c/s was 2 years ago, and the c/s was not due to failure to progress like mine was. You are a much better candidate than I was. In addition, this is your 3rd child, and they tend to come very fast. I would not worry about it if I were you. Just find a dr. and hospital that do vbacs. There are many hospitals equipped to do emergency c-sections if you ended up needing one, and you most likely would never need one given your low risk factors.
  • Options

I had an amazing VBAC in Oct- med free, quick recovery, healthy baby and just felt so empowered following my son's emergency c-section.  He was in the NICU for 10 days and I couldn't hold him till he was 3 days old.  The experience of holding my baby immediately, touching her, nursing her was so incredible.

In your shoes, I'd write down all your concerns and then start your research.  www.ican-online.org is a great resource to start.  The Thinking Woman's Guide to Childbirth is also a great book, esp for a VBACer.  I also used a doula and stayed with midwives for my prenatal care (with OB back up) which I felt were two decisions which helped me achieve the birth with DD I wanted.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"