Baby Names

What names are Ella/Ellie short for?

Just found out we're expecting number three. If it takes us as long to name this one as the last we really should start now!

I really like Ella for a nickname. Any suggestions which names it might be short for? I know there are probably a few. TIA!

Re: What names are Ella/Ellie short for?

• Eleanor, Evelyn, Elaine

• Either could be short for Eleanor.

Isabella and Annabel also come to mind. I know a little girl just named Elle.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • My Ellie is Elliot. There's also Elena, Isabella, Gabriella, Elizabeth.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • ella and ellie are really cute names, just remember they are everywhere now. related names i can think of are ellis, ellison, eleanor, elle, ellen, or you could even find a name that ends in that sound like luella or something similar. i think it's good if you're choosing a trendy nickname like that to give her a traditional-sounding first name. you might look through english/ other european surnames for good ones. good luck!
  • i think it's good if you're choosing a trendy nickname like that to give her a traditional-sounding first name.

Those are my thoughts exactly. My daughters are Isabelle Grace and Charlotte Rose. We call them Isa/Izzy and Charli. I love traditional names and try not to pick anything too, too popular but sometimes they get more popular after you name your kiddo. I thought of Madeleine Jane for one option, with Ella/Ellie as a possible nickname but thoght it might be a stretch - also Madelyn is seems SUPER popular the last few years.

DH and I can't agree on ANY boy names. We both like Cole for a nickname but I'm not a huge fan of Colton. Throw in the middle name must be Paul. 

• I love Ella being short for Marielle or Mirabelle/Mirabella.
  • Elliana was on our list as a girls name...Ellie for short.
  • My daughters name is Ellen and we call her Ellie. My friends daughter is Isabella and they call her Ella.
  • My best friend uses the name Ellie as a nn for Evelyn.
  • there is a nestie with a DD named Ellison - called Ellie.

My DS's middle name is Ellison- after my grandfather... but it seems to be getting more popular for girls- i really like it for a girl with the NN Ellie.

• My friend's daughter is Lorielle and they call her Ellie.
  • We have a Ellie who was named after my aunt Ellen.
  • The only adult Ellie I know is an Elizabeth.
  • We are considering Marcella (after my late grandmother) for a girl and using Ella as a nn.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I love Gabrielle with the nn Ellie. My bff named her first daughter Ellie (that is her name, not a nn) so I won't be using Ellie as a nn for anything, but if I were I'd use Gabrielle.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"