D.C. Area Babies
Options

Timing for securing in-home daycare

I have a center that I really really like that is likely to have openings in August or September, which I had previously thought was going to be perfect for me.  However, due to some recent financial issues, which may or may not resolve themselves by that time, I'm don't know if we can spend that kind of money (it's pretty pricey), and I might have to go back to work earlier, more like June or July. 

My thought is that I just take a wait-and-see approach, and if it looks like I need to go back early or we need to find a more economical option, I'll start looking for in-home daycare maybe 6 weeks or a month before I return to work.  Am I screwing myself for waiting this long - should I start talking to people about in-home now?  My impression had been that in-home daycare is something you can (or even have to) do with less lead time than centers, but I don't know if I'm making an assumption I shouldn't.  My in-laws do live here and have expressed some willingness to help out, so we do have a backup plan.

We'd be looking in the Bethesda/Rockville area.

Re: Timing for securing in-home daycare

• Options

I've called a few and was told by all that I should call them back after I deliver since I'll be taking 8 weeks off for Mat Leave. 

I hate to wait until the baby is here and things are chaotic but I guess that's how it goes. 

imageimage

TTC #1 Cycle 14 - IUI#1=BFN, IUI#2=BFP | TTC #2 Cycle 8=BFP!! imageimage

• Options
    I found my in-home about 6 weeks out in Mont. Co. and it was just before the holidays. Typically I found that in-home daycares ask only for 2 weeks notice when a child is leaving, so unless they have a child hitting a birthday, they wouldn't know of an opening until like a month to even 2 weeks beforehand (depending on why the other child is leaving).
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I found my in-home about 6 weeks out as well.  I was signed up for all the centers in the area and none ever called and when I called them they didn't have openings.  I got lucky and my friend's neighbor had a spot open - at the time I don't know if I could have done an in-home without a friend's rec
  • Options

It's tricky... b/c if you call too soon, they tell you it's too soon - if you call too late, then there's no openings.

I'm looking for a place now to start April 13.  I must have called 25 places from the MD locator - and only a small handful called back.

I don't know what your budget is - but, you might want to call this place called Monday Morning Moms.  They help locate daycare, then tack on a fee to the monthy cost.  Our quote with them is around $1200/month for a very good inhome place.

https://mondaymorningmomsmcmd.com/

NestBaby Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagecrazyDCbride:

It's tricky... b/c if you call too soon, they tell you it's too soon - if you call too late, then there's no openings.

I'm looking for a place now to start April 13.  I must have called 25 places from the MD locator - and only a small handful called back.

I don't know what your budget is - but, you might want to call this place called Monday Morning Moms.  They help locate daycare, then tack on a fee to the monthy cost.  Our quote with them is around $1200/month for a very good inhome place.

https://mondaymorningmomsmcmd.com/

Thanks for the Monday Morning Moms tip! 

• Options

Yeah, I want to say we found ours about 4-6 weeks out.  In-home is typically cheaper than centers, definitely worth looking into.

Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"