1st Trimester

Can I eat pastrami?

I heard that you are not suppose to eat pastrami while pregnant so i was wondering if i could eat it because i just bought some to make lunch.

Re: Can I eat pastrami?

• I ate it with DS and he turned out fine.  Didn't know it was on the 'do not eat while PG list' though. 
  • Isn't pastrami lunch meat?  Indifferent

Kidding.  Its fine in moderation.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • If you are worried about it, then heat it up. :) You'll be fine!
  • Pregnancy Do's and Don'ts - buy it.

That said, Deli meat is not recommended b/c of the increased risk of listeria on it and our compromised immune systems. You CAN eat it safely if it's heated up.  However, MANY pregnant women eat deli meat and are just fine, it's really your choice.  Someone told me the other day there hasn't been a case of listeria in years...

• I think you aren't supposed to eat lunch meat, which would include pastrami, but that you CAN if you heat it up beforehand. So maybe you can just heat the pastrami up to the acceptible level and then eat it. I would Google around on that tho to make sure.
    Malia & Dave & Alexa
    Happily married since 2-17-08! Three since 9-9-09!
    Baby Blog
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • So, let me get this straight-

You heard you shouldn't eat it, but bought it anyway? mmmmmmkay...

With that being said...Eat the damn pastrami...

• Have fun with lunch meat.  If you can stomach it eat it.  I each a sub sandwich at least twice a week.  Eat up!
    Pregnancy Ticker

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • The general rule is to heat it up until it is steaming. :) Melt some cheese on it!  YUM! :)

However, today I ate a cold tasty turkey sandwich from Einsteins, and it was heavenly. So do whatever you feel comfortable with. :)

• Believe everything you hear - DO NOT EAT IT!!!!
  • imageJCM052707:

Pregnancy Do's and Don'ts - buy it.

That said, Deli meat is not recommended b/c of the increased risk of listeria on it and our compromised immune systems. You CAN eat it safely if it's heated up.  However, MANY pregnant women eat deli meat and are just fine, it's really your choice.  Someone told me the other day there hasn't been a case of listeria in years...

just FYI there was a big issue with listeria last year in canada and several people got very sick and i believe there were some deaths.  i know one pregnant woman was affected.  the problem was from one processing plant that had new machines which trapped bacteria in an area of the machine that wasn't cleaned...the issue has been resolved.  i am only mentioning this so people know it isn't completely crazy to heat or avoid lunch meat...i am not trying to scare people.  you can google maple leaf listeria and i am sure you will find the info.

• I heard about it after the fact. I know how sad!!
  • I eat hot pastrami sandwiches on a regular basis, and I won't give them up for the world! You can also eat pastrami cold, it is fine.
  • Yep, you should not eat anything from a deli for your entire pregnancy.  Otherwise, you will have a three headed baby.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • My doctor says deli meats are fine, I eat them 1-2 times per week.
  • imageMegDC:
    Yep, you should not eat anything from a deli for your entire pregnancy.  Otherwise, you will have a three headed baby.

I saw one of those kind of babies today at the grocery store.  Ironically, her mother was pregnant again and hanging around the deli counter.  I almost warned her, but decided not to...

• Eat it just make sure you cook it.

Per the CDC

How does Listeria get into food?

Listeria monocytogenes is found in soil and water. Vegetables can become contaminated from the soil or from manure used as fertilizer.

Animals can carry the bacterium without appearing ill and can contaminate foods of animal origin such as meats and dairy products. The bacterium has been found in a variety of raw foods, such as uncooked meats and vegetables, as well as in processed foods that become contaminated after processing, such as soft cheeses and cold cuts at the deli counter. Unpasteurized (raw) milk or foods made from unpasteurized milk may contain the bacterium.

Listeria is killed by pasteurization and cooking; however, in certain ready-to-eat foods such as hot dogs and deli meats, contamination may occur after cooking but before packaging.

How do you get listeriosis?

You get listeriosis by eating food contaminated with Listeria. Babies can be born with listeriosis if their mothers eat contaminated food during pregnancy. Although healthy persons may consume contaminated foods without becoming ill, those at increased risk for infection can probably get listeriosis after eating food contaminated with even a few bacteria. Persons at risk can prevent Listeria infection by avoiding certain high-risk foods and by handling food properly.

Recommendations for persons at high risk, such as pregnant women and persons with weakened immune systems, in addition to the recommendations listed above:

• Do not eat hot dogs, luncheon meats, or deli meats, unless they are reheated until steaming hot.
    • Avoid getting fluid from hot dog packages on other foods, utensils, and food preparation surfaces, and wash hands after handling hot dogs, luncheon meats, and deli meats.
    • Do not eat soft cheeses such as feta, Brie, and Camembert, blue-veined cheeses, or Mexican-style cheeses such as queso blanco, queso fresco, and Panela, unless they have labels that clearly state they are made from pastuerized milk.
    • Do not eat refrigerated p?t?s or meat spreads. Canned or shelf-stable p?t?s and meat spreads may be eaten.
    • Do not eat refrigerated smoked seafood, unless it is contained in a cooked dish, such as a casserole. Refrigerated smoked seafood, such as salmon, trout, whitefish, cod, tuna or mackerel, is most often labeled as "nova-style," "lox," "kippered," "smoked," or "jerky." The fish is found in the refrigerator section or sold at deli counters of grocery stores and delicatessens. Canned or shelf-stable smoked seafood may be eaten.
      How great is the risk for listeriosis?

In the United States, an estimated 2,500 persons become seriously ill with listeriosis each year. Of these, 500 die. At increased risk are:

Pregnant women - They are about 20 times more likely than other healthy adults to get listeriosis. About one-third of listeriosis cases happen during pregnancy.

• image*bunny*:
    imageJCM052707:

Pregnancy Do's and Don'ts - buy it.

just FYI there was a big issue with listeria last year in canada and several people got very sick and i believe there were some deaths.  i know one pregnant woman was affected.  the problem was from one processing plant that had new machines which trapped bacteria in an area of the machine that wasn't cleaned...the issue has been resolved.  i am only mentioning this so people know it isn't completely crazy to heat or avoid lunch meat...i am not trying to scare people.  you can google maple leaf listeria and i am sure you will find the info.

I'm just saying what my friend told me who just had a baby.  I'm not eating lunch meat or hot dogs anyway (wouldn't eat that if I wasn't pregnant either) so I'm not too concerned for me. 

• mmmm ... hot pastrami on toasted rye w/ a little spicy brown mustard ...

*drool*

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"