Working Moms
Options

I made it to 1 year of BF!!

Hi ladies,

Just wanted to toot my own horn! DD is officially 1 today (yipee) and we have both made it this far with BF. I stopped pumping at work as of today and she'll take the remaining fresh milk to DC next week. I am still going to nurse morning and night for as long as she wants too which is completely possible as we both love our cuddle time and I also nurse her to sleep.

As some of you may know i was traveling 5 days a week, every week for work from when DD was 3-7 months old and it was rough. I then got a new job and the current company has a great mothers room plus my manager was very supportive, so I was able to continue.

Just some stats of times:

Forgot pump stuff- 1

Pumped in a car- 7

Pumped in the restroom- too many to count..LOL

Pumped in the back of a car while colleague was in the front- 6

Pumped in customers office- 3

Pumped on a plane- 12

Number of times someone walked in on me- 2

Pumped WITHOUT screwing the bottles on- ONCE! I never did that again :)

Number of supply dips- 5 (2 due to illness and 3 due to stress)

Number of times I thought I would quit- TOO many to count :)

Number of months without AF- umm since I got pregnant!

Number of times we supplemented with formula- 2 when she was just born and my supply was low

Other complications- 2 x with nipple blisters and 1 x with blocked a blocked duct! 

Number of times I turned to this board for support- COUNTLESS times!

Good luck to all the working moms out there whether you BF or formula feed. Being a working mum is hard work but completely worth it and we all have our battles to fight :)

Finally, thanks to all the mommies who have responded to my posts with great advice; you all have been such a great inspiration for me!

Re: I made it to 1 year of BF!!

• Options
    Congrats!! I saw this link on 0-6 month. You did much better than me with the forgetting pump stuff; I've been back at work less than a month and have forgotten things (a bottle, the pump itself, etc.) about 6 times now. Thank God DH stays home so he could bring it to me!! I'm very encouraged to keep up with pumping (I EP) today. Thanks!!
  • Options
    This gives me hope! Thanks for sharing!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    This is great, congrats! I can "see" my one year goal, a few more months to go. I love the stats, that's too funny!
  • Options

Great post!  I love the stats, the pumping without bottles made me laugh!  Now I know I'll end up doing once and think of you.

• Options
    Aw, happy b-day! That's awesome you made it to 1 year. I only made it to 7 1/2 months (my supply became way too low) but would've loved to make it that far. Congrats!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Congratulations! Wow, I remember you posting when you were first going back to work and were so nervous about whether you could make it all work. Seems like just yesterday. This will sound weird coming from a "stranger," I'm sure, but I'm so proud of you! Your circumstances were beyond challenging and for you to stick with it and reach your goal is just awesome. Way to go! Smile

Mommy to DD1 (June 2007), DS (January 2010), DD2 (July 2012), and The Next One (EDD 3/31/2015)

• Options

Happy 1st Birthday.

Congrats on making it a year. Great job!

• Options

Thanks ladies! You know- you just do the best that you can and set small goals. I know that if my supply had dropped too low or if it was simply not going to work for us then i would have been ok with that also. As a working mom we really just do the very best that we can and our family love us for that!

Flyer- trust me its not weird at all and I definitely count you as one of my nestie friends :) i know i wouldnt have made it this far without your support and fantastic advice! I do remember posting just before going back to work and I was seriously freaked out but i feel so encouraged knowing that there were other women who traveled for work and kept nursing ie you, sara1104, madhatter, finnishprinces etc. I am just glad that I was able to meet my small goals and make it this far.

• Options
    Wow, good for you!  It's hard under the best of circumstances, but sounds like your situation was tougher than most.  I am personally looking forward to hanging up the horns in a few months.  It's really nice to see a success story!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Congrats!!  That's awesome!!
  • Options
    Also my favorite was the number of times that you pumped in the backseat with a colleague in the front.  Too funny.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    haha- yes this was my all time favorite! I was having a super stressful day and was actually looking forward to the quiet time. i didnt even realise it until my thighs were getting all warm and wet..LOL..about 2 mins into the session...I just had to laugh!
  • Options

imageazuremama:
    Also my favorite was the number of times that you pumped in the backseat with a colleague in the front.  Too funny.

yep you do what you have to do...we were talking business and having a quick lunch before our next meeting...thank god for the hands free bra...

• Options
    Big congrats!  I just went back to work this week so it's great to see a success story.  I hope, in 9 months, I can make the same post.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Woo Hooo!!!!!  Isn't it a great accomplishment!!!  You should be super proud!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    that is awesome!  You should be so proud of yourself - you had a ton of things working "against" you, but you did it!  I also LOL'd at the pumping in the backseat with a coworker in the front.  And the 12 times pumping on a plane!
  • Options

imagemomofolivia:
    that is awesome!  You should be so proud of yourself - you had a ton of things working "against" you, but you did it!  I also LOL'd at the pumping in the backseat with a coworker in the front.  And the 12 times pumping on a plane!

Thanks ladies-

momofoliva- god i hated pumping on the plane. Not only was it super cramped and smelly in there but the constant knocking on the door didnt exactly help with the let down either..and i swear the cabin pressure also effected how much milk I was pumping..lol..after the first few times I wised up and would just tell the flight attendant what i was doing so she could direct people to the OTHER toilet!

• Options
    Aw, I seriously just got a little teary reading your post!  Congratulations!  I remember when you first started traveling for work and pumping- so impressive!  Way to go!!!  And enjoy being done with the pump- it's so nice!
  • Options
    CONGRATS!!!!!!!!  Happy 1st birthday!
  • Options
    Congrats!  What an amazing job!  You are an inspiration, I hope to make it a year too.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Congratulations!!! You deserve to celebrate today.
    My two PCOS miracles! Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    wow! congrats! you traveled 5 days a week??? how in the world did your supply keep up?! that is amazing. and here i was freaking about a business trip at the end of the month for only 2 nights.. Embarrassed
  • Options

HURRAH!

Your story is of great encouragement...I plan on going with the small goals (3mo...6mo...12mo) 

So glad you made it to ONE YEAR =)

• Options
    Congrats to you!   That is fantastic.  You should be proud of your accomplishment!
  • Options
    Congrats and welcome to the club!  I know it wasn't always easy for you, so you should be very proud of yourself.  Good job Mommy!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    wow, you rock! I am very impressed. It is hard enough with my own office (which makes it easy!) traveling too? wow, just wow.
  • Options
    you should consider sharing your story with La Lache League to help encourage other working moms. you are a huge inspiration!
  • Options
    Congratz! I am getting soooo close to one year (my goal is actually 13 months since BG was born a month early) and am really getting sick of pumping so this little post reminded me that I can keep doing it!!?
  • Options
    It will be 1 year soon for me too!!! Yippee! I am so proud of myself for giving my son such great nutrition! Yippee!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"