Boston Babies
Options

Brigham vs. Newton Wellesley?

I'm hoping that my current IVF cycle works, so I'm starting to think about OB GYNs and hospitals. ?I know it's been asked before, but can anyone help me decide between Newton Wellesley and the Brigham?

The Brigham is such a hassle to get to & I know I'll have lots of appointments once I'm pregnant. ?Plus I've heard that you feel like a "number" there and not a person.

?

Newton Wellesly is easier to get to and smaller, but doesn't have the reputation of the Brigham.

?

Help??

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Brigham vs. Newton Wellesley?

• Options

You can deliver at the Brigham and not necessarily have your OB there. My OB was at the Faulker - Leila Scheuler, and I think she was great. I delivered at the Brigham. I strongly recommend delivering at the Brigham, because they have a level 1 NICU. I did not feel like a number there. The nurses there are amazing!

Good luck!

Proud mommy to 1 leapling and expecting #2 March 2012.
  • Options

I am delivering at the Brigham.  It is my 1st so I can't speak for the delivery itself but I did fall last week and the on-call dr. told me to go to the hospital just for peace of mind.  I was taken right up and the nurse that took care of me that day was wonderful.  My OBGYN was at the hospital that day and did come up to check on me.  Definitely did not feel like a number that day.  I drive from Charlestown to the Faulkner for my appointments, which is a pain and will be a bigger one once I have to deal with Fenway traffic.  But I really wanted to deliver at the Brigham b/c of the reputation and therefore put up with the drive/traffic.  

• Loading the player...
  • Options

First of all good luck w/ your IVF Cycle. 

I am giving you a third option.  I cannot say enough good things about Beth Israel Deaconess.  I delivered my son there and received excellent care there.

My OB has an office in Brookline Village so not quite in the Longwood Medical area, so less hassle.  Her name is Brenda Baker, MD and she is at Boston OB/GYN Associates.  She is fantastic!  Dr. Baker has other OBs in her practice and her associate Dr. Jacqueline Croopnick actually delivered my son and she was wonderful.  I have seen others post about this practice on this board as well.

Sorry to add to your decision, but I cannot say enough great things about the OB practice and BIDMC.

Good Luck to you!

• Options
    I delivered at NWH and loooooved it. I will most certainly go back with mt next one(s)! I had a scheduled C-sect and the nurses there were so nice. Over in maternity it was the best! I still dream of the warm environment that I had there during my stay. I live in Natick so it was decided by convience, I didn't want to drive all the way into Boston, and they have a great reputation on their own.  Good Luck!
  • Options

I was just faced with the same decision! Have you taken tours yet? If not, I would for sure. My decision was made before we walked out the front door of BWH. I hated it. It was SO big and very "hospital like". It's hard to explain, but I delivered my first at Mt. Auburn. I had a huge room with windows overlooking the Charles, wood floors, all the medical equipment tucked away out of sight....it was gorgeous. At BWH you get....a hospital room. Gray linoleum, lots of equipment, tiny window. It was so depressing. Plus there are something like 75 postpartum rooms there, I found it to be very institutional and depressing. NW is much more like what I remembered from Mt. Auburn, plus slower paced and more personal. AND the care is just as good, IMO. I'm not high risk, so actually being attached to Children's is not such a big deal to me.

Also, they have strict visiting hours at BW (no scheduled hours at NW), NW has one to one nursing care (BW does not), parking and getting to NW was easier, overall I felt more relaxed and much less drama at Newton Wellesley. That's what I chose.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"