Health & Exercise

Anyone freaked out about the reports of mercury in HFCS?

Hi everyone,

Did anyone hear about the reports that mercury was found in high fructose corn syrup in a variety of processed foods?  Yes I have been trying to eat healthy, but can't resist my cocoa puffs, starbursts,and 7-11 slushies. Now I'm freaking out about these reports. 

Candy was my last indulgence and I guess I can just strike that one off the list now too.

Re: Anyone freaked out about the reports of mercury in HFCS?

• Ok now I'm getting pissed. I just read a report that the FDA knew for some time and sat on the info. (also heard about this with the peanuts/salmonella scare). They better hope my baby comes out okay.
  • I am not surprised that there is mercury in HFCS. HFCS is nasty stuff. I try to avoid it as much as I can but it is so hard because it is in everything!?

Recently I have been dehydrating my own fruit and it makes a really great snack. It tastes better than the kind you can buy at the store and it is just the fruit and not sugars or other additives.?
  • Loading the player...
  • I know.  I had to let go of my Hot Tamales.  Major bummer.  But here's how I look at it- would I feed them to my newborn infant?  Prolly not.  I know it's a tad dramatic to think of it that way, but it's what's helped me as far as my own cravings that are less than healthy.

I thrive on dried cranberries from Trader Joe's.  Or the Peanut Butter Puffin cereal.  Just a few thoughts on some "healthier" choices for gals like me with a sweet tooth or two!

• Ugh - that stuff is hard to avoid sometimes. They sneak it in to stuff you wouldn't expect.
    Life is either a daring adventure or it is nothing at all. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Yeah, I have officially started grocery shopping only at whole foods!
  • imageKRONK:
    I am not surprised that there is mercury in HFCS. HFCS is nasty stuff. I try to avoid it as much as I can but it is so hard because it is in everything!

Recently I have been dehydrating my own fruit and it makes a really great snack. It tastes better than the kind you can buy at the store and it is just the fruit and not sugars or other additives.

sorry to butt in but how do you dehydrate fruit, i would totally be into saving a little money doing that! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"