3rd Trimester
Options

saving money on groceries

So I've become obsessed with this. I can't stand seeing my grocery bill rise. I spend over a hundred bucks a week in just basic groceries these days. I was home sick watching Oprah yesterday and saw they were having a special on a woman that only spends 37 dollars a week! What are some tricks you use to cut the costs?

Re: saving money on groceries

• Options
    #1 thing I've done to save money is to plan out my meals for the week.  Also I try to group things that need similar ingredients (especially produce).  Then I make a shopping list and stick to it.  It's saved a lot of $$$.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I spent over 100 yesterday and came home and saw that advertisement for oprah...gonna watch because i am clueless!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I only go once per week and I only buy what's on my list....those two alone really cut down on our grocery bill. I've been slacking on this recently though...
  • Options
    I am on coupons.com, its free just sign up, I cut coupons on sundays, Sometimes i go to individual websites to see if they have specials... and before I moved out here, i used to do my grocery shopping at 3 diff. places. One for generics that I didnt really care tooo much about, one place that was really cheap that i could ge tname brands, then another for fresh produce and meats..... it was more effort but i did save
  • Options
    Super Walmart. NFT.
  • Options

For one I don't buy groceries every week, I buy them every 2 weeks which saves me money right there.  I only spend $250-$300 per month on groceries, toiletries, and pet supplies.

Buy store brands or off brands of a majority of your products, that saves me a lot of $$ too.  I don't really clip coupons as there aren't any in my area to clip. 

• Options

DONT TAKE MY DH WITH ME!

I only spend about 40-50 a week on groceries and 65 if having to buy cleaning products/toilet paper/ paper towls etc. Like PP I plan out our meals, look for the sales and stock up on that.

I also started bulk buying- This might mean I spend 65- 75 my first week of groceries but the meat I buy like this last us all month so I can reduce the spending the rest of the month.

• Options

I don't let DH go shopping alone.

We've been averaging about $50 - $60 per week on groceries lately.  Since I was sick this week I sent DH on his own.  He ended up spending $95.  He kept trying to tell me it was because we needed some of the bigger things this week, like cat food and some toiletries, but I don't think the grape juice, queso cheese, or other snacks he got helped either.

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Shop around and actually look at prices. I've noticed that since the economy has gone down the drains the prices on store brand items are actually HIGHER than the name brands in many cases. I think people just assume that the store brand will be cheaper and so they just grab the item and throw it into their cart with out actually comparing prices. My dh just assumes that super walmart has the best prices of all of the stores in the area, not so. I look at the weekly ads and cupons and I do so much better at the other stores in our town than at walmart. Again, I think people just assume that they are going to get the best price with out actually doing some research.

Another big thing for us is planning out our meals for the week. If we know we are going to use tomato sauce twice then buying a big jar is a better deal than 2 smaller jars. Sounds like pretty basic stuff but it really makes a difference.

• Options

I keep two shopping lists.  One for Sam's (or your local wholesale chain -- we use MIL's membership) and one for the grocery store (we use Walmart since it's closest).  Anything that I use a lot and can buy in bulk, I get in a semi-annual massive shopping trip at Sam's (kleenex, paper towels, napkins, pasta, canned corn, frozen chicken, pork loin, etc.).  I keep a lot of meat frozen, which saves us a ton.   

I also plan out my meals and do one trip to the grocery store every week or two.  These trips are pretty much just for perishables like milk, bread, veggies, and fruit.  All said and done, DH and I spend less than $200 per month on groceries. 

• Options
    I plan a menu for the whole week and make my shopping list from that.  I try to pick recipes for the week that have an overlap in ingredients (e.g. if I need fresh thyme for one recipe, I'll pick a 2nd recipe that also uses it so I'm not having a 1/2 bunch of thyme go bad).  I find that doing meal planning and sticking to it has saved us money - we eat out much less, and less food gets thrown out.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

It's so funny that you post this because I'm obsessed with saving money when I grocery shop...seriously my DH looks at me like I'm crazy when I get excited about how much I saved :)

I plan my meals out two weeks at a time which helps when buying fresh ingredients. I also stock up on non-perishable items/staples when they are BOGO. Publix and Winn-Dixie do this a lot with my cereal, taco dinner kits, juice, etc. If I find a good deal on meat, I'll stock up on it too. It helps me to look at the store flyers online as I make my list so I can see what's on sale, etc. I hardly buy anything not on sale or without a coupon.

I also just realized that it is WAY cheaper to buy a bag of regular carrots and peel/cut them myself vs. buying a bag of baby carrots (89 cents vs. $2.50!) Plus, I just learned that they use chlorine to keep the baby carrots looking fresh in the bag since they don't have their skin..yuck!

As far as paper goods like TP and paper towels, I buy name brand and use coupons. Ziploc bags and things like napkins I buy store brand.

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I clip coupons every sunday in the paper. We find the best deals by going to couponmom.com or pinchingyourpennies.com. They have a list by state what grocery stores have on sale that you can use with your coupons. We usually end up saving 25-50% week by doing this. It's worth it!
  • Options

I use couponmom.com. It is awesome. I save so much money. ?This past weekend I got $150.00 worth of stuff for $80.00 which includes fresh fruit and some deli meat for DH's lunches.

?That lasts about 2 weeks usually.

I also plan my meals out on a menu.?

• Options

I'm a coupon whore. I only shop when things are free/super-cheap. Kind of the like the $37 a week lady.

Try this website:

www.hotcouponworld.com

We only do 1 grocery shop a month in our house. On the off weeks I only buy things things that are free/super-cheap (including fruits and veggies).

I also stock-pile. Meaning, if Campbell's tomato soup is on sale one week and I have coupons that make it free/cheap I buy 50 cans of it, not 5 like everyone else. That way we don't have to buy it when it's not on sale. 

Rinse and repeat for other things =)

GL!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"