Houston Babies

another reason to avoid high fructose corn syrup

even if you think that this amount of mercury isn't troublesome, when you start to add this to all the other sources our kids can get it from it can get really scary. i avoid the stuff like the plague and know that i pay more to do so. everyday i find another reason to make it worth it...

https://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2009-01-27-corn-syrup_N.htm?csp=34

Almost half of tested samples of commercial high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS) contained mercury, which was also found in nearly a third of 55 popular brand-name food and beverage products where HFCS is the first- or second-highest labeled ingredient, according to two new U.S. studies.

HFCS has replaced sugar as the sweetener in many beverages and foods such as breads, cereals, breakfast bars, lunch meats, yogurts, soups and condiments. On average, Americans consume about 12 teaspoons per day of HFCS, but teens and other high consumers can take in 80% more HFCS than average.

"Mercury is toxic in all its forms. Given how much high-fructose corn syrup is consumed by children, it could be a significant additional source of mercury never before considered. We are calling for immediate changes by industry and the [U.S. Food and Drug Administration] to help stop this avoidable mercury contamination of the food supply," the Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy's Dr. David Wallinga, a co-author of both studies, said in a prepared statement.

In the first study, published in current issue of Environmental Health, researchers found detectable levels of mercury in nine of 20 samples of commercial HFCS.

And in the second study, the Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy (IATP), a non-profit watchdog group, found that nearly one in three of 55 brand-name foods contained mercury. The chemical was found most commonly in HFCS-containing dairy products, dressings and condiments.

But an organization representing the refiners is disputing the results published in Environmental Health.

"This study appears to be based on outdated information of dubious significance," said Audrae Erickson, president of the Corn Refiners Association, in a statement. "Our industry has used mercury-free versions of the two re-agents mentioned in the study, hydrochloric acid and caustic soda, for several years. These mercury-free re-agents perform important functions, including adjusting pH balances."

However, the IATP told the Minneapolis Star Tribune that four plants in Georgia, Tennessee, Ohio and West Virginia still use "mercury-cell" technology that can lead to contamination.

IATP's Ben Lilliston also told HealthDay that the Environmental Health findings were based on information gathered by the FDA in 2005.

And the group's own study, while not peer-reviewed, was based on products "bought off the shelf in the autumn of 2008," Lilliston added.

The use of mercury-contaminated caustic soda in the production of HFCS is common. The contamination occurs when mercury cells are used to produce caustic soda.

"The bad news is that nobody knows whether or not their soda or snack food contains HFCS made from ingredients like caustic soda contaminated with mercury. The good news is that mercury-free HFCS ingredients exist. Food companies just need a good push to only use those ingredients," Wallinga said in his prepared statement.

Re: another reason to avoid high fructose corn syrup

• This is scary. I have been gradually cutting HFCS out of out diet altogether. It's sad how difficult and expensive it is to do! Well worth the effort and expense, though.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Have you seen the new pro-hfcs commercials put out by The Corn Refiners Association?
  • Loading the player...
  • imagedanabelle:
    Have you seen the new pro-hfcs commercials put out by The Corn Refiners Association?

they're interesting. I think they latched on to the problem though, I don't think a lot of people know WHY it's bad, just that it's bad. Hopefully it's getting people to do some research of their own instead of just believing them.

-Clare
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • imagedanabelle:
    Have you seen the new pro-hfcs commercials put out by The Corn Refiners Association?

PAGAS showed them to me just recently. thanks to the miracle of my DVR i almost never see commercials anymore. these i am extra glad i missed!

• imageaprilprincess:

imagedanabelle:

they're interesting. I think they latched on to the problem though, I don't think a lot of people know WHY it's bad, just that it's bad. Hopefully it's getting people to do some research of their own instead of just believing them.

Unfortunately, I think that the commercials are going to lead more people to think that it is okay rather than doing the research for themselves.

My mom thinks I am being completely over-protective in not letting Aidan have products with HFCS - he will get enough of it through incidentals, he does not need to have apple sauce where it is listed as the second ingredient.  

• imageKarey08:
    imageaprilprincess:

imagedanabelle:

Unfortunately, I think that the commercials are going to lead more people to think that it is okay rather than doing the research for themselves.

My mom thinks I am being completely over-protective in not letting Aidan have products with HFCS - he will get enough of it through incidentals, he does not need to have apple sauce where it is listed as the second ingredient.  

I am not a big label reader but that really bothers me.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagecharlotteL:
    imageKarey08:
    imageaprilprincess:

imagedanabelle:

I am not a big label reader but that really bothers me.

it's in *everything*

things that are naturally sweet already are FULL of it. things that are svaory have it. in fact, unless it says on the front "Does NOT contain HFCS" it probably has it and where you find it, it is almost always one of the top 3 ingredients.

• I believe there is only one kind of bread at Kroger that does not contain it (Pepperidge farm 100% whole wheat; most other PF varieties have it, all the other brands do), and that's all I will buy if I am buying bread there. I have read the ingredients on every one. Of course rrr loves yoplait regular yogurt, and the strawberry was one of the ones that tested. I assume that means all flavors contain it. He's just going to have to eat my cascade fresh.

Tonight I stopped by walgreens for a pint of ice cream. Blue Bell is full of the stuff, so I had to go with the ultra-fattening butter pecan haagen daaz. Cool

• M - I just read the label for our Nature's Own 100% whole wheat and it doesn't have HFCS in it.  Just another option.

STONE GROUND WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR, WATER, BROWN SUGAR, YEAST, WHEAT GLUTEN, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF EACH OF THE FOLLOWING: SALT, VEGETABLE OIL (SOYBEAN OIL OR CANOLA OIL), DOUGH, CONDITIONERS (SODIUM STEAROYL LACTYLATE, CALCIUM, STEAROYL-2-LACTYLATE, MONOGLYCERIDES, CALCIUM IODATE, ETHOXYLATED MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, CALCIUM PEROXIDE, DATEM), CULTURED WHEAT FLOUR, VINEGAR, CALCIUM SULFATE, MONOCALCIUM, PHOSPHATE, YEAST FOOD (AMMONIUM SULFATE), SOY LECITHIN

• That is scary. ?I have been having so much trouble lately finding Alex easily portable snacks for school that dont contain it. ?I stocked up at a kroger the other day b/c they had a closeout sale on a bunch of organic cookies, crackers. (the kroger on 1960/Eldridge)

I end up buying the same stuff b/c I know it doesnt have it and dont have time to read labels with crazy alex trying to climb out of the cart or eat the handlebar.... ??

• I have been craving chicken nuggets and sweet sour sauce. ?The very 1st ingredient in sweet sour sauce is HFCS... dang
  • imagekbv:

That is scary.  I have been having so much trouble lately finding Alex easily portable snacks for school that dont contain it.  I stocked up at a kroger the other day b/c they had a closeout sale on a bunch of organic cookies, crackers. (the kroger on 1960/Eldridge)

I end up buying the same stuff b/c I know it doesnt have it and dont have time to read labels with crazy alex trying to climb out of the cart or eat the handlebar....   

HEB carries beech nut which came out with no HCFS fruit snacks. 

-Clare
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Thanks for the info. I will definitely be reading labels more closely now that Rena is eating more table foods.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"