Baby Showers

Annoyed or Amused? WDYT in-laws and shower

DH called my MIL to let her know to save the date for my shower. She informed him that she and SIL won't be attending. They "just don't like baby showers."

I'm not sure if I should think this is funny (I do) or if I should be annoyed (just slightly since I don't really want them there).

What do you think?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Annoyed or Amused? WDYT in-laws and shower

• I'd be annoyed.  I don't like showers, but I'd suck it up and still go for a close family member.
  • Hmmm? If there wasn't any sign that there was an issue with this relationship I would be surprised. It sounds like you know them well enough to know ahead of time that they were capable of this sort of attention getting stunt which is honestly what I believe they are doing. Are they normally this passive aggressive? Do they normally band together like this? What does DH think?

UGH. Good luck to you. I like the idea of smiling at their idiocy. Good choice.

Life is either a daring adventure or it is nothing at all. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Whew, I'd be pissed!  This baby will be their grandchild/neice or nephew.
  • I think that's kinda a rude way to decline an invitation, IMO
    TTC #1 for one year with annovulation....
    Clomid Cycle #1: 50mg = BFP
    =Beautiful baby girl born May 23, 2009
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    TTC#2: BFP Cycle #1, no fertility meds!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Absolutely RUDE. Wow....
    But I do understand what you mean about not caring if they attend or not. Just so unfortunate that your MIL has no class.
  • Well, if they really don't like showers and don't go to them, that's their perogative.  There are other ways to show their love and excitement for the baby than just coming to the shower. 

And this is coming from someone whose MIL called last minute to say she was "sick" and couldn't come to my shower- wedding OR baby.  Too long of a story to go into - but she wasn't sick.  And while other people were "shocked" that she didn't come to her own grandchilds shower - I just know her and I knew she was going to bail.  On one hand, it is disappointing.  On the other, its just not something I'm going to lose sleep over. 

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• I really like your attitude of letting it roll off  your back.  If you know that's how they do things, and you don't let it put you off, I'm super impressed.

Good for you momma to be! You'll be able to manage the Terrible Two's with ease!

• It seems kind of rude to me, but I'm sure they are planning to give you a gift anyway.

I wouldn't make a big deal of it. I would just talk about how wonderful the baby shower was and how sweet and kind everyone was to attend in front of your mother in law. 

• I think I'd be too happy to be annoyed.
  • They should suck it up and go.
  • I find it to be really rude.  The baby shower is being thrown to pamper her grandchild.  They really should get over themselves and go.

Unfortunately, I think that if they're pushed into going, they might make it pretty obvious that they're unhappy about being there.

• I'd be livid-- even if I didn't really want them there-- that is not the point.  The shower is about honoring you and the baby and to not go b/c they don't like them is incredibly selfish and rude.
  • imageHopingForOne:
    I think that's kinda a rude way to decline an invitation, IMO

I agree

• I would love it if my MIL wouldn't come! LUCKY!!
  • i think its sort of rude, but someone like that you wouldn't want at your shower anyway.

my family (all out of town) is throwing me a shower, but i am afraid of my friends throwing me a local shower because NO ONE from DH's family (local) showed up or even rsvped. i don't want the same thing to happen again with a bbshower.

• Personally, in my situation, I'd be way annoyed.  The IL's expect us to drop everything last moment for what ever family event that they are planning, expect birthday and large Chrismtas presents.  So for them not to reciprocate back is very hypocritical.  However, if they didn't come, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • How dumb.  Sometimes you do things you don't want to do -- it's part of life.  Grow up!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"