Pregnant after 35

NT Scan...now onto an amnio?

Hello!

I wrote a post much like this yesterday on the 2nd trimester board...and had a few suggestions to post to this board also as there might be some additional great feedback / suggestions. 

I recieved a call from my obgyn dr. yesterday that my NT Scan came back w. me in a higher risk category for Downs. (1 in 65)  A few individuals gave me some suggestions about re-running the NT...going for an earlier 2nd level U/S (I am at 15 weeks tomorrow)...I am pretty sure I am too late for the CVS test.

Does anyone have any advices/thoughts about next steps/getting an amnio?  I was really a bit of a trainwreck yesterday when they called...I just wasn't expecting it.  I am meeting w. a genetic counselor on Feb 13th...and can choose to have an amnio that day or not.

As I mentioned in our other post...my husband and I have discussed it not changing our decision to have our baby (and love it to pieces!) either way...I am just looking for some thoughts/advice...etc.  Not that this matters...but I am 32...

I really appreciate any thoughts...still trying to wrap my head around this one.  I am not sure I could wait until an already emotional day of our baby's birth...

Thanks so much!

Re: NT Scan...now onto an amnio?

• If you wouldn't end the pregnancy based on the amnio results, don't get an amnio. That number doesn't see to high to me.
  • Remember that 1 in 65 is 1.5%, or 98.5% chance that the baby does NOT have Down Syndrome.  My results from 1st trimester screen came back at 1/15 and I decided to do an amnio (which came back fine) right at 15 weeks. 

If you want to know in order to be prepared, then do it, (i'd only have an amnio done by a Perinatologist, though).   If you want to go by the 98.5% chance that everything is fine, then don't.

• Loading the player...
  • i think I would want the amnio in your case, even if i wouldn't terminate.  chances are the amnio will clear you, and ease your worries.  if not, it gives you time to prepare yourself, learn about EI strategies, and do some research.  A friend of mine was shocked when her child was born with down's and she spent the first month of his life figuring out the EI system, getting his therapies in place etc.  She would have rather done all that before he was here and enjoyed her time with him those early days.
  • imagecbidt*sgirl:
    i think I would want the amnio in your case, even if i wouldn't terminate.  chances are the amnio will clear you, and ease your worries.  if not, it gives you time to prepare yourself, learn about EI strategies, and do some research.  A friend of mine was shocked when her child was born with down's and she spent the first month of his life figuring out the EI system, getting his therapies in place etc.  She would have rather done all that before he was here and enjoyed her time with him those early days.

This is exactly why I had a CVS. Gathering information to be well-prepared is vital.

I had an amnio at 36, and a CVS at 39 just based on my age-related risks.  My NT scan the day of the CVS was normal. I know for a lot of women that would have been reassurance enough, but I wanted a definitive answer.

• I would get an amnio as soon as you can.  The NT has other defects it screens for, not just downs, some of which close monitoring can be a benefit.  Also, if you do have a child with a handicap, you need to seek out resources, especially if you plan to return to work.  Many daycares will not take a child with developmental issues.  My NT results were 1 in 3, so it was an easy decision, but regardless of what you "think" you would do (85-90% of people with a downs diagnosis terminate, I don't think most of them ever would have "thought" they would), I would get the testing as early as you can. 
  • If you would not terminate, I would not risk it with the amnio. There is a miscarriage risk associated with the amnio and I would find it so hard to lose a baby because of a procedure I chose.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • It's a tough call, but here is something to consider.  Are you going to worry about the risk of the baby having Down's more or less than you are going to worry about the possiblility of a miscarriage from the amnio?

DD1 is 3, DD2 is 1.
  • When assessing the miscarriage risk, remember that you have more than 3 times greater risk of having a child with Down's (and that risk is teeny weeny) than you do of having a miscarriage from the amnio. 
  • if it were me i would not do the amnio.  We would not terminate - so we felt no need to take the risk.

some people NEED to know now - to year a yes/no answer- and i respect that- and if that is you then you need to get the amnio... but for me I'd just do a ton of praying and hope for the best.  that number is not horrible if you think of it as a %.

vibes to you!

• It is a very personal decision.  I had 2 amnios even though we had no intention of termination, rather I wanted information.  I wanted to be prepared if there was going to be a medical issue with my child.  I did my research and found that my doctor had an extremely low complication rate. 

Good luck with your decision.  I know it is a difficult one to make.

• Years ago when my cousin was pregnant (she was in her late 20's) she was told by the dr that she tested positive for downs. I guess they didn't give results with the #'s like we are getting now, they just said positive. She opted not to do the amnio because either way she was having the baby. This happenend with both her children & they are like 10 & 12 now, & thank God she didn't abort because they were absolulteyly healthy.

• imagefiazo:

Years ago when my cousin was pregnant (she was in her late 20's) she was told by the dr that she tested positive for downs. I guess they didn't give results with the #'s like we are getting now, they just said positive. She opted not to do the amnio because either way she was having the baby. This happenend with both her children & they are like 10 & 12 now, & thank God she didn't abort because they were absolulteyly healthy.

Sorry, but I don't believe you.  Your cousin may have been told that she had indicators for downs, but she was not told that her child had downs unless she had an amnio.  An amnio or CVS is the only conclusive diagnosis.

• ugh! I can't even imagine what you and your husband are going through, if you intend to keep the child if it has downs or not, then I wouldn't even bother with the test...it is such a personal decision and only you and hubby can make it...I wish you the very best of luck and strenght...many happy prayers to you.
    image Nicholas Jacob born on 06/30/2009, 9.5lbs and 21 1/4" long Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Joshua Scott 5.3lbs & Jonathan Matthew 6.2lbs, born 08/31/10 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm sorry, this must be so stressful. I work with a doc who is involved in prenatal testing research, and she has told me if you have your amnio done by someone who is highly skilled the chance of miscarriage is VERY low, much lower than the figures you normally see quoted. Find out about the credentials of whoeverw ould be doing it.

Obviously it's a personal decision but I don't really understand the "I wouldn't terminate so I won't have an amnio" arguement. Babies with Downs are often born with heart defects that need to be treated right away. If your baby does have Downs you may want to give birth with a maternal fetal medicine physician rather than an OB so he/she can have immediate access to highly-specialized care.

Also, if you had the testing I had (at my hosp. its called the sequential screen) there is normally a follow-up blood test at 16 weeks that further adusts your risk. So you may want to look into that.

All that said, there's still a much greater chance your baby is fine than that he isn't. Hang in there.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers image
  • I know what you are going through...I got the same type of call earlier this month. It is a hard decision, but to be honest, if you feel like you have to know, the amnio is the only way to be sure. Keep in mind though, that these NT tests have a high false positive rate...so they call you and tell you your chances are 1:65 and that is higher than they like to see...and freak you out (of course and totally understandable)...but keep in mind, that means 64 babies are totally fine.

In the end, I did the amnio last week and so far, so good. At the end, a very personal and difficult decision, please try to stay positive....I know it is easier said than done. Wishing you all the best.

• I am in the exact same situation - I just got back from the dr and was told my risk was 1 in 57 - I was not expecting this and like you am in a bit of shock. We also feel that the results will not change our decision to have this child or not.

Its just so much to manage and think about and worry about. I feel like you that I need to know as much as I can in advance so I can prepare. So I think we are going to go ahead and schedule an amnio, although I like the pp idea of re-running the blood tests, since that was my major indicator something was wrong.

I'm 30 and just had a healthy baby, so I never even expected news like this.

I'll be thinking of you and sending you healthy vibes.

• I personally agree with getting a definitive answer to be most prepared..but it is of course a very personal decision, as you know.
    Proud mom to DD Born Oct. 26, 2007, and DS Sept. 2, 2009
  • My sister got bad NT results when pregnant with my niece.  She did not get an amnio and my niece was perfectly healthy.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"