Detroit Babies
Options

midwife vs. doctor

for a first time mom, which do you feel is better?

Re: midwife vs. doctor

• Options
    The practice I went to have both midwives and doctors on staff.  I started off my pregnancy seeing the midwives.  What was nice is they were always on time (even having some of the last appointments of the day) and always had time to answer my questions.  They didn't seem as rushed as doctors sometimes seem.  What I liked is that during delivery, they claim to be more available than the doctors.  Granted, the midwives didn't deliver me, so I can't attest to that.  I ended up becoming a high risk pregnancy, so they wanted me under the care of the doctors.  The doctors were nice and would answer any questions I had, but you could tell they were a lot more rushed.  During my labor, I really didn't see them.  They would pop in and then pop out.  The only downside to the midwives are they don't have an MD so if there's a problem, they're not always equipt to take care of it.  Fo this practice, it really wasn't a huge problem since the midwives worked with the doctors, so if there was a problem during delivery, a doctor could quickly step in.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    my office did both too, and I went with midwives.  They seem to work with you more, and help you through the labor a little more.  It was like having my mom in the room.  They are more personable to me.  I still go to them for all my yearly exams.  The dr was always in the hospital too, just in case.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I am pg with my 3rd baby and I think the best situation is to find a Dr. that has the same idea's, want's and personal opinions as you do.  Get referrals form people you know, interview them and be sure to ask them questions that mean the most to you. If you are totally insink I appreciate a physicians knowledge and expertise. 

All pg are different and you can never predict outcomes of the delivery.  For myself I just feel more secure with someone who has significantly more education and training.

This is a decision that is really a personal choice.  And many do like midwives.  I would meet with both and see how you feel with each of them.

Best wishes!

• Options

My office had both as well when I was pg with DS (the office discontinued the MW services this past summer after I delivered =/ )

I loved seeing the MW's: one-on-one attention and and my fav MW was there all throughout my labor with me. I would highly recommend going with a MW. 

This time I have to see a doctor (the nearest MW's from us are now 2-4 hours away) so I did not have a choice. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"