TTC after 35

oops...feeling really dumb & embarassed...advice needed!

Yesterday I woke up to find bright red blood, so I naturally thought that AF was here.  My periods seem to be getting a little shorter since I've gone off BC, but this month my cycle was only 23 days!  6 days of that was spent on AF and 4 days was spent with brown spotting.

Everyone keeps telling me this spotting is normal, but it only started with me a year ago, and I still think that something's up.  Because I thought I had started AF, I emailed my doc and told her the whole story.  Her nurse called me a few hours later and told me to come in for blood work on LSH & estriadol and then progesterone later in my cycle.

Then, I realized that I didn't have a visit from AF.  It was just spotting.  Today I don't have anything at all.  So it seems as if I'm back to the same craziness as usual.

Do you guys think I should still go in for the blood work even though it looks like my cycle is probably going to be 25-26 days?  I just have this nagging feeling that something is off with me, but I don't want to be dishonest with my doctor about the length of AF.

Re: oops...feeling really dumb & embarassed...advice needed!

• I would call the Dr. back and ask what she thinks you should do.  It's not being dishonest if you tell the Dr. you don't know what's going on.  This happens to many women who are coming off BCP and the Dr. will be able to tell you what he/she thinks would be best.
  • If you're over 35, you're having short cycles, and you want to get pregnant, why wouldn't you go see a doctor? Something's not right hormonally. You only have so many shots in a year to get PG and you're wasting precious time if your hormones are working against you. I say go in for testing and get the whole workup.

Forty-something TTC since 12/2007 3 failed IVFs DE cycle #1: BFP then D&E at 12 weeks due to neural tube defect DE cycle #2: Chemical FET #1: BFN Lining issues, pursuing adoption
  • Loading the player...
  • I am so glad you asked this question.  I am 37 and since coming off bcp, my cycles have been between 22-23 days.  I think my cycles were always this short before bcp, but since I have been on them for the past 17 years, it is hard to remember for sure.  I have not called my doctor yet, because she is on maternity leave and I didn't really want to talk to someone else.  Since your dr. told you to come in for testing, I think I will go ahead and give my doc's office a call if this cycle is just as short.  In answer to your question, I do think you should go ahead and get the testing. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think I'm still going to go through with the tests because I really think something is not right with the spotting.  I'm supposed to get the real AF today, so hopefully I'll be able to go in tomorrow for the blood test.

Thanks for all of the advice! 

• If you feel something is not right with your body DEFINITELY see the DR and insist they get to the bottom of the issue.  Always follow your instinct about your body.

It will prob. turn out to be nothing or something very solvable.

Good luck

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"