Working Moms
Options

Daycare hours question and vent

First off, I am so tired of worrying about daycare, I just want to find DS a great place and be done with it.  I found two in homes that want to drive him around everyday to take their kids to school (which I am not comfortable with) and one center that is ok, but doesn't thrill me.  Anyway, here is my question.  Has anyone ever heard of an in home daycare holding these hours:

Mon - Thurs: 8am - 5:30

Friday: 8am - 4pm

This woman came highly recommended from the woman that is temporarily keeping DS right now, has a waiting list (that she is willing to bump us up on to get DS in in March) and those are her hours.  How the heck would a normal working parent be able to abide by those hours?  I have to be at work at 8am and I don't get off until 5pm (4:30 is I asked nicely), and I know I am not alone in my hours.  WTF?

Re: Daycare hours question and vent

• Options

Most all daycares I am aware of are open for 12 hours.  That's weird to me that the hours are so bankerish...how are you supposed to get there and work a full day? 

Good luck though, it's a tough call when you have heard so many good things about them

• Options
    Those hours sound very narrow to me.  If it works for your schedule that's great but I don't think they would work for a lot of people.  My in home provider is open until 6pm and seems to open around 7:30 (I drop my guys off around 8:00 since I'm a slacker and don't get to work until 9:00).  Smile

My twins are 5! My baby is 3!

DS#2 - Allergic to Cashew, Pistachio, Kiwi

DS#3 - Allergic to Milk, Egg, Peanut, Tree Nuts and Sesame

• Loading the player...
  • Options

That's crazy to me.

It doesn't matter how highly recommended she is - I can't see working around her hours when you're paying her to do a job.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

those hours suck.  Unless everyone else in the world gets off early on Fridays except for me and you. And how could you possibly leave early every singe Friday?

Another thing that makes me suspicious is the willingness to bump you on her waiting list; How is that possible? Either you have people actively looking to come in or you dont't.

To be honest,  I feel like the mom's who want to take your DS with to drop their kids off ( assuming they have clean driving records and insurance) may be the way to go.  It sucks~ but we have to, to a certain extent, allow our children to fold into these other families lives and routines.  

I don't like it, but I realize that it is a part of the reality of someone else having the responsibility of caring for my child.

Hope that helps, and wasn't too harsh.

Best of luck. 

On the night you were born, the moon smiled with such wonder that the stars peeked in to see you and the night wind whispered,"life will never be the same" Image and video hosting by TinyPicalt="Lilypie 1st Birthday Pic" width="29" height="20" border="0" /> BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I think those hours are ridiculous unless she does primarily drop-in or part-time care. So the parents can't even work a full 8 hour day on Fridays?
  • Options
    My daycare (a center) is 9-6.  He's right across the street from where I workk so I don't have to worry about commute time to get to him.  There are days where I just take work home with me if I have more to do and I have to leave.  Is that something you can do in your job?
    3 IUI's and 2 IVF's later- Brady arrived. Born at 36 weeks after PUPPS and pre-e/HELLP.
    IUI- BFN IVF #1 -BFP! Allie is our 2nd IVF baby. Born at 36 1/2 weeks after pre-e again
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

• Options
    imageAmy&Anthony:

those hours suck.  Unless everyone else in the world gets off early on Fridays except for me and you. And how could you possibly leave early every singe Friday?

Another thing that makes me suspicious is the willingness to bump you on her waiting list; How is that possible? Either you have people actively looking to come in or you dont't.

To be honest,  I feel like the mom's who want to take your DS with to drop their kids off ( assuming they have clean driving records and insurance) may be the way to go.  It sucks~ but we have to, to a certain extent, allow our children to fold into these other families lives and routines.  

I don't like it, but I realize that it is a part of the reality of someone else having the responsibility of caring for my child.

Hope that helps, and wasn't too harsh.

Best of luck. 

not to harsh at all!  If we have to choose from what we have seen, then I think we will go with the daycare center.  The only concern we had with them is that it is brand new and the director had no real daycare experience, so there was no one we could call for references.  But she obviously passed her director classes and has a BA in Child Development, and seemed really great with the kids she had.

• Options
    No - we went through a service but all three of the in home daycares we looked at could accomodate daycare center hours - so 7 am to 6:30 pm.  I think they were charging a little more because of it but still.  8 - 5 just is not realistic and 8 - 4 is silly.  I would go with the center. 
  • Options

Our sitter asked for similar hours. Roughly 8:30 to 5:30, although without that short day on Fridays.

It works for us. She's about 15 mins away from both our home (I work from home) and from DH's office. I have flexible hours, so I usually drop her off well after 8:30 and pick her up right at 5:30. I can also alternate pick-ups/drop-offs with DH, so he can pick her up while I keep working if I need to work late.

On the weeks when I travel, DH drops her off right around 8:30 and picks her up right at 5:30, so he gets roughly 9-5 in the office. He catches up at night if he needs to.

I know other families have one parent who starts work early and leaves early, and the other who starts late and leaves late. So the start-late parent can do drop off, and the leave-early parent can do pick up.

Mommy to DD1 (June 2007), DS (January 2010), DD2 (July 2012), and The Next One (EDD 3/31/2015)

• Options

When I looked at in-home, the hours were a problem for us.  We currently carpool and drive to work together and we would have had to stagger our hours and have one person do pick up and the other drop off to meet most of the in-home daycare hours.  I think that must be what most people do.

We don't even work long hours, although we do have a half hour or so commute.  When I talked to one woman who a friend recommended, she basically said she'd been doing this a long time and there was plenty of demand for her services, so she was able to set her hours.  Good for her, but it didn't work out for us.  We found centers to be much more accommodating, time-wise.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I know of one local in-home daycare who has hours like that.  It is on Tuesdays because her middle school daughter has volleyball games.  And no, it isn't convenient for the parents.  This was one of the reasons we didn't go with in-home. 

I'm sorry finding daycare is such a challenge for you.  That stinks.

• Options
    Most in-homes I looked at had limited hours -- one was even closed on Fridays (yeah, like that works).  Which is why I found a center I was happy with that had longer and more flexible hours that suited our schedules better.

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• Options

That's the beauty of running your own business, you get to decide what your hours of operation will be.  :) 

Our in-home is open from 6:45-4:40, however you are only "allowed" 9 hours in a given day meaning that if you drop off at 6:45 you have to pick up by 3:45.  She mostly has teachers kids and teachers hours are generally shorter. 

If the hours don't work for you then obviously you should find a different daycare no matter how highly recommended she is.

Mama to Lucy (7/06), Lexi (5/09), and Max (11/11) M/C 12/17/10
  • Options
    imagemurphyec:

First off, I am so tired of worrying about daycare, I just want to find DS a great place and be done with it.  I found two in homes that want to drive him around everyday to take their kids to school (which I am not comfortable with) and one center that is ok, but doesn't thrill me.  Anyway, here is my question.  Has anyone ever heard of an in home daycare holding these hours:

Mon - Thurs: 8am - 5:30

Friday: 8am - 4pm

This woman came highly recommended from the woman that is temporarily keeping DS right now, has a waiting list (that she is willing to bump us up on to get DS in in March) and those are her hours.  How the heck would a normal working parent be able to abide by those hours?  I have to be at work at 8am and I don't get off until 5pm (4:30 is I asked nicely), and I know I am not alone in my hours.  WTF?

I've seen this. I think many working parents have at least one parent with either part-time or more flexible hours (for example, DH is a school counselor and is generally done at 3:30). Could you or DH come in an hour early on Fridays?
    image Lucy, 12/27/2009
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    That looks like the hours of the in-homes I looked at.  Combined with the $5-6/hour price (more than any center in the area), they didn't work out for us.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • Options

it obviously works for someone - b/c she's got a daycare going.

My work schedule would work with that.... but i would expect to pay a lot less thank I do for my daycare that is open 7-6:30 M-F... even though DS is never there that long- it's nice to have the option on an off day if needed.

• Options
    My DD is with her babysitter from 8:00-3:45. She takes kids from 7:15-about 4:30.She only takes the children of teachers, so her hours match ours. Before DD was born I would easily work from 7:30am-6:00pm but once DD arrived I bolt out the door as quickly as my contract allows.
  • Options
    This is one of the many reasons (and one of the main reasons) why we chose a daycare center. Our daycare center is open from 6:30a.m. to 6:00p.m. Every single in-home daycare that I visited had hours that didn't fit our schedules. These providers did say to me that most if not all of their parents worked part-time, from home or had a very flexible schedule.
  • Options
    Uhh...maybe that would work if you worked next door to her house and didn't eat lunch?  We have been dropping off at 7, I get to my desk about 7:45, leave work at 4-4:30 and get to daycare between 4:45-5:30.  So even on my "short" days, DS is usually there for about 10 hours.  And I guess that would work if you and DH staggered schedules.  I would love it if we could do this but we share a car and both work long hours.
  • Options

I know I am late on this one, but you are not alone with finding a good daycare that works with your hours.

I work 11.5 hr days/odd shifts so it's been difficult. No day care is open late or early enough for me.

Hopefully you can find another in-home that is willing to work with you, or a regular daycare that has longer hours. Most here are open from 0630-1800 hrs. I found a co-worker whose daughter is a SAHM. GL.

• Options
    In-home day cares around here often have very limited hours - ours is 7:30-4:30, which is pretty standard. It's the trade-off for lower-priced care with an in-home setting. To make it work for our family, DH does drop-off (since he works late) and I do pick-up and can go into work early if needed or I can put in some time at home after the kiddos are in bed. We think it's very much worth it.
  • Options

Daycare in Philadelphia gated community!

-->

~Stay at home mom of a baby girl (Previously a corporate Administrative  Assistant and Graduate student)

~6am-7pm (hours flexible)
    ~Able to care for children 6 weeks to age 12
    ~ Safe gated community in Philadelphia 24th and Bainbridge
    ~Skype with your baby:
    we can arrange for you to see your little one via internet
    whenever you want
    ~Arts and Crafts, acitivites, play time outside scheduled:
    Leapfrog, Wii, and age appropriate songs and games
    ~Clean, safe, close environment:
    Naval Square is an upscale, gated housing community located in
    South Philadelphia  24th and South st.

https://www.navalsquare.com/main_noflash.shtml