Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

Devastated-ER trip last night (long)

My H and I went to the ER last night because I was having some pain in the right side of my abdomen.  They took tons of blood from me, and then went in to do an u/s.  The u/s tech couldn't find anything so he went for the V probe.  He didn't say anything to me, so I knew something was wrong.

At my first prenatal visit I saw a NP.  She used the V probe on me but didn't really know how to, so she couldn't give us an exact measurement of the embryo.  Since I never had a period and conceived off of BCP I told her when I thought we conceived and so she gave me a due date based off of that.  Her exam was less than thorough.

Either way, the ER doc came back to tell me the fetus was measuring at 6wks and 3 days, but that they could not detect a hb.  I have had no bleeding and no cramping and he checked my cervix and said it was closed.  At this point he said it is more likely that I had/or am having a MC. Second more unlikely situation is that our dates are way off and the hb hasn't started yet.  I got my BFP on 12-30-08 and used first response I had two lines, one was quite faint, but enough to know I was prego.  I am so confused.  I go in for another u/s next week to confirm what is going on.  I asked that HCG levels be taken but they wouldn't give them to me (Kaiser).  I also found out my blood type is A-, which is something I never knew and the previous NP never told me.

How early can you get a big fact positive?

If we conceived on say Dec. 17th, then wouldn't my fetus be exactly 6 wks??

I know it's entirely possible that I have had, or am having a MC, it's just so hard to face.  I am dreading the u/s next friday.Crying

Re: Devastated-ER trip last night (long)

• Try to stay positive. You may go in next week and have a hb. Just try to relax this weekend and not freak out yet. I know that is easier said than done. I would def. have them do bw when you go to your normal OBGYN. Sorry you are going through this. If you don't have any bleeding then I would say that's a good sign.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm sorry that you had such a tough night.  Try to stay positive (easier said than done, I know).  Keep us posted... good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • **HUGS** I hope it works out and everything is fine. If you don't know when you ovulated, it's really hard to say how far along you really are. I'm hoping that you are just not far along enough to see the h/b yet. Good luck.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Some women see a +ve HPT as early as 8-10 days past ovulation.  It all depends on how sensitive the test is that is used and also varies on when implantation occured.

In your case, assuming you used a very sensitive HPT and implanted early, the latest day you could have ovulated would have been around Dec 22.     If that is the case, you would be 7 weeks 5 days pregnant today. In this case you would be measuring one week behind instead of two.    In your case  since there is no last period to go by, doctors will take the date they believe you ovulated and go back  two weeks from that to account for your period.

The number of weeks pregnant you are is not calculated from when you conceived.   It is based on your last period.   So in other words when someone says they are 4 wks pregnant in fact they have only really been pregnant 2 wks.    It is just how it is.  

A heartbeat should be visible at this point but remember that it isn't over until it is over.  There have been other women on this board who didn't see a heartbeat and then did on the next visit.   Your very faint line also could have been an evap line.  How soon after taking the test did you read the result?    Did you take another test a few days after?

If waiting until Fri is to hard for you, you might also want to call your doctor and have repeat bloodwork done on Mon and Tues.  If the numbers are going down at least you'll know and be spared the week of waiting.   They also might be doubling appropriately.   

GL - I really hope things work out for you.

• I always hear bad things about hospital ER experiences in which the medical staff are not that thorough and often make mistakes because they just push everyone through with no regard.  It is much nicer to see your regular practitioner who is caring and understanding and will take the time to make sure everything is ok. 

Hang in there.  Keep us updated!

9 angels in heaven-3 in my arms and 1 in the NICU                                                                                                                                    
    Mono/di twin girls: Josephine born to heaven and Evangeline born Earthside at 25w

• Good luck! Don't give up hope yet!
  • I'm sorry you're going through this. I know it's hard, but stay positive. It sounds like there's a good chance you're just not that far along yet. Best wishes for Friday!
  • Hi, Bren! I didn't know I would find you here.  I just discovered this board just tonight.  Anyway, I am thinking of you, and know exactly what you are going through.  Like some of the ladies said, maybe you are not as far along as the dr thinks you are.   I will continue to pray for you and your baby.
  • I'm sorry your visit didn't go as well as was wanted. I will keep you in my thoughts. Try to stay positive. I know that it is easier said than done but as far as we know you are still pregnant. I will pray for you.
  • I'm sorry this is happening to you. One technicality to add since you have a negative blood type. If you do indeed miscarry you need to get a rhogam shot in case the babys blood mixed with yours and it has to be within 72 hours. It could affect your ability to have another baby without treatment.
  • Thanks Ladies, I appreciate the good thoughts and the prayers.

Pamela - Thanks for the heads up on the Rhogam shot, the ER doc mentioned that to me as well.

Amoureux - That same day that I got the 2 lines on FRPT, I also took several other tests that day and got positives and even a digital the next and it said pregnant.

TMI ALERT.  It is very possible that I could have ovulated on the 22nd.  We did the deed on the 21st.  The other issue at hand is that I have a retroverted uterus (it tilts back toward my spine) and it makes things hard to see by ultrasound.  I am hoping and praying that my little one is just taking some extra time to develop, but I'll update you ladies later.

Again thank you for all your prayers and well wishes.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"