Breastfeeding

Weaning at 18 mos?

I'm considering weaning DD at 18 months in April and I'm already feeling guilty about it. What if she's not ready?

The only reason that I'm thinking about it at all is that I'm going to be in a wedding in June. I know that it's selfish, but I can't see trying to nurse an active toddler at a formal event while wearing a floor-length bridesmaid dress...forget about the fact that I've never heard of a strapless nursing bra and I can't imagine that one would be very practical.

I mean, even if she's not weaned completely by the time we head down to FL for the wedding, as long as she's only nursing in the morning and at night, I should be fine, right?

Help! Someone tell me that all will be fine..

Re: Weaning at 18 mos?

• You are going to have to do it at some point and if this wedding is important to you I would do it. You have done a great job going as long as you did and you should be proud.
  • I think I replied to you on the other board. Don't feel badly... although I wouldn't really completely wean unless you want to... just get DC down to only AM and PM nursing and you can enjoy the wedding without completely weaning. GL!
  • Loading the player...
  • I think you're over-analyzing the situation. You have done AWESOME to make it thus far w/BFing. I don't think you are being selfish at all to want to enjoy the entire wedding experience w/o having to worrying about BFing and all that comes with it. You answered your own question wI:mean, even if she's not weaned completely by the time we head down to FL for the wedding, as long as she's only nursing in the morning and at night, I should be fine, right? RIGHT!

I'm planning on starting to wean DD at a year. From a purely selfish standpoint, I want my body back for a little while. I hope to get PG again and I don't think AF will come w/o weaning. I know women are PG and nurse, but that's not for me. I am proud of myself for making it today to 10 months and will continue to be proud when I make it to the year.
    GL!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Blogging about boobs, babies, bed lust & everything in between since 2007.
  • I understand your guilt!  I am trying to cut down DD's nursings from 5 to 2-3 a day in the next few mos. 

I am proud I have made it this far, but I know DD is still not ready to completely wean.

I think she'll be soooo busy at the wedding that you can distract her and DH can give her a sippy of milk.  I would not worry about nursing in the dress.  GL

• If you're only weaning for the wedding then I wouldn't do it.  At 18 months she'll be old enough to skip nursing a couple times.  You can nurse her before the wedding, and then depending on when you leave, you can nurse her after.  It's not hard to nurse in a regular bra either.  You just pull your whole breast out over the bra.  The tricky part would be figuring out how it would work with the dress.

Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"