Eco-Friendly Family
Options

Care to share your menus-

upcoming or something you've had recently?  I have to go shopping tomorrow for meals and I have no idea what to put on the menu this week.  I'm working late every night M-Th so dh is in charge- he doesn't cook really- so I'd like something I can cook in the crockpot or whip up quick when I get home. 
Thanks for sharing :)
Lovin' Life: M+D 7/06, T 1/08, B 5/10
Getting back to it- my diet and exercise blog
Losing it...Without Losing it

Re: Care to share your menus-

• Options

Last week: veggie stir-fry, veggie lasagna (I made a bunch and froze them a couple weeks ago for easy dinners), salad with grilled chicken, chicken with roasted veggies, north african stew... sooo soo nummy and I'm sure you could do it in a crockpot- it's another one I often make a bunch of and freeze.

North African Stew

2 Tbsp. olive oil 1 med onion diced 1 med carrot sliced 1med zucchini sliced 1 lg clove garlic chopped 14 oz can diced tomatoes (I used stewed tomatoes) 1 cup veggie stock 1 tsp. whole cumin seeds 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper 2 tsp. grated lemon zest (1 lemon's worth) 1 19oz can chick peas, drained and rinsed 8-10 dried apricots, thinly sliced 1/4 cup raisins Salt and pepper to taste   I usually serve it over this rice: 1 cup Basmati Rice - wash gently at least twice. Let soak for about 15 - 30 mins or longer. Warm up 1/4 cup of olive oil (or canola etc.) and add some cloves & or Cinnamon sticks, and if you wish cumin seeds(1/4 tsp)...let it cook a bit. Add 2 cups (use same cup) of water, salt. Let water boil for a few mins. Meanwhile drain rice and then add to boiling water, stir. Reduce heat to low and cover. Cook for 15 - 20 mins or until done.
    DS 06.26.08 DD 10.23.10
    imageimage
  • Options

Baked Ziti is super easy.

Ingredients:
    1 box ziti or penne pasta
    1 cup of ricotta cheese
    2 1/2 cups of marinara sauce
    2 cups of mozzarella cheese

Directions:
    1- Cook pasta until done, strain and set aside. In a baking dish combine pasta, 2 cups of sauce, ricotta, and 1 cup of mozzarella cheese. Mix well. Once mixed, top with remaining 1 cup of mozzarella cheese.
    2- Bake at 350 covered for about 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake for 5-10 minutes to crisp the top.
    3- Pour remaining sauce over ziti, let stand for 5 minutes before serving.

We also make a lot of stir fry in this house. We throw green onion, water chestnuts, a variety of mushrooms, bean sprouts, habenero peppers, and broccoli together in the wok with some olive oil. Easy peasy.  Serve over brown rice. Sometimes we also use carrot, celery and potato.

Lentil Soup is also yummy.

Aunt Doris' Lentil Soup

(Serves 4 with leftovers)

2 cups lentils, washed
    2 quarts (8 cups) water

2 slices chopped uncooked bacon (never use the bacon - I hate it)
    1 onion, chopped

4 cloves of garlic, chopped
    1 carrot, chopped
    3 stalks of celery, chopped

fresh parsley and oregano, chopped (together, about a handful)
    2 tsp. salt

freshly ground pepper
    to taste
    1 large (28 oz.) can of diced tomatoes

1 bunch of red chard, washed and roughly chopped
    (we use rainbow chard)
    2 TBS. vinegar

• Place all ingredients (except tomatoes, chard, and vinegar) in a large soup pot.
    • Cover and simmer 1 and 1/2 hours.
    • Add canned tomatoes, chard and vinegar.
    • Cover and simmer another 30 min.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I just made a meatloaf and meatballs to freeze.  I'll cook them later in the week.  We had Corn Chowder and Potato Soup in the crock pot last week. They were both really good. 
  • Options
    My friend gave me this recipe and my husband loves it!?

Pizza Bake

1 Box Pasta ( Whatever shape you like)
    1 Can Pizza Sauce
    1 Pkg. Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
    1 cup Chedder Cheese
    1/2 Pkg. Pepperoni
    1 lb. Ground Hamburger or Turkey.

Cook pasta and meat. Once both are cooked combine with pizza sauce.? Pour half of the mixture into baking pan. Layer with pepperoni, then layer with cheese. Then add rest of pasta. Then layer with more pepperoni and cheese. Bake for 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.?

The ingredients are totally approximate. Because it is just a kinda make as much as you need dish. My DH loves it though!?

• Options

Quick stuff:  rotisserie chickens, stir fry, spaghetti, wraps, tacos, salads

Things I like in the crockpot:

• soups or chili
    • roast, potatoes and carrots
    • salsa chicken
    • beef stroganoff
    • pulled pork or chicken
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

These are all easy

Campbell's Healthy Request Chicken Mozzarella

4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts halves (about 1 pound)
    1 can (10 3/4 oz) Campbell's Healthy Request Condensed Tomato Soup (or you can use 1/2 jar of spaghetti sauce and omit the next 2 ingredients)
    1/2 tsp. dried Italian seasoning OR dried oregano leaves, crushed
    1/2 tsp. garlic powder
    1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
    4 cups hot cooked corkscrew-shaped pasta, cooked without salt

Place the chicken in an 11 x 8-inch (2-quart) shallow baking dish. Stir the soup, Italian seasoning and garlic powder in a small bowl. Spoon the soup mixture over the chicken.

Bake at 400?F. for 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.

Sprinkle the cheese over the chicken. Let stand for 5 minutes or until the cheese melts. Serve with the pasta.

Lasagna Soup (got this recipe from the EFF board)

1 lb ground beef
    1 clove minced garlic
    4 cups beef broth (2 cans)
    1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
    1/4 tsp Italian Seasoning
    1 1/2 cup corkscrew pasta
    1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese

cook ground beef with garlic until browned. pour off the fat, add
    broth, tomatoes and Italian seasoning. Heat to boiling. Add the pasta
    and turn to medium heat until pasta is done, about 10 minutes. Stir in
    cheese.

Chicken Pot Pie

Cooking spray
    1 TBSP butter
    1 TBSP olive oil
    3 carrots, thinly sliced
    2 celery stalks, thinly sliced
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp pepper
    1 1/2 lbs boneless chicken breast, cubed
    1 tsp dried thyme
    1/2 cup frozen peas
    1 (12 oz) Jar Chicken gravy
    1 (9 in) refrigerated pie crust

1. Preheat oven to 350, Coat a 9 inch pie dish with cooking spray
    2. In a large skillet, melt half the butter with half the oil, Add carrots and celery, and cook over medium heat for 8-10 minutes. Sprinkle with half the salt and pepper. Remove from pan and set aside
    3. Heat remaining butter and oil in pan, add chicken. Add salt, pepper and thyme. Brown all sides. Continue to cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes or until done.
    4. In prepared dish, combine with chicken, peas, carrots, celery and gravy. Top mixture with crust, crimping the edges. Cut slashes in the middle, and bake for 35 minutes or until filling is bubbling.
  • Options
    This post is making me hungry Indifferent
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"