Babies: 9 - 12 Months

NBR: Are we crazy? House to apartment...

DH is a police officer and we have the opportunity to take a courtesy officer spot at an apt. complex. The rent and water are free. All we would have to pay for is electricity and cable/internet. It's a 3 bed, 2 bath but only 1100 sq ft. We currently own a 1700 sq ft 3 bed, 2 bath house. We are going to either sell or rent our house out to someone at the PD (for more than our mortgage payment) and save up money for a down payment on a much larger house. I know it's going to be really tough to go backwards for awhile but I think we can do it. Also, I'm a realtor so I see so many houses all the time. It will be hard not to fall in love with something when I think about going back to our tiny apartment! Are we crazy??!!

Re: NBR: Are we crazy? House to apartment...

• sounds like a great way to jump start your savings for the next bigger house.
  • How awesome does that sound!!! that's great.600sq ft...you won't even know the difference :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't think it's too nuts.  We lived in an 850sq ft townhouse/condo with DS before we moved to our house where we are now, and if we had to, we could have made it work. 

I think it sounds like a good way to get into something that is more of where you'd like to be later on.  Sure, it'll be tough- but it sounds like it might be worth it.

DS 06.26.08 DD 10.23.10
    imageimage
  • I don't think it's crazy.  It sounds smart.  The difference in space is doable.  Put some stuff in storage.
  • I don't. 

If it can get you where you want to be than go for it.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I think it's a great opportunity, and one that can't come up very often. Take advantage of it.

And I'd rent, not sell. But I don't know what your market is like.

• imageTess12:
    I don't think it's crazy.? It sounds smart.? The difference is space is doable.? Put some stuff in storage.

We are already busting at the seams in our current home. We are going to put most everything in storage! DH and I decided we're just going to have to remind ourselves that we'll be able to get a really kick @ss house! ?

• imageLoriFalce:

I think it's a great opportunity, and one that can't come up very often. Take advantage of it.

And I'd rent, not sell. But I don't know what your market is like.

Our market is ok, not great but at least I'm armed with the knowledge of pricing and staging. It's all about being realistic these days. I'll only lease if it is someone we know. I don't really want to be a landlord to a stranger. ?

• Do it! That's a great opportunity to save money. GL!  : )
  • Sounds like a great idea. And it will be easier knowing that it's temporary. We did the "step backward" thing when my husband went back to school, and it wasn't that bad - just keep reminding yourself why you're doing it.
  • With Fi as an LEO, we've actually lived in 3 apartments because of a security position. The fact that we were able to save that money and spend it on more important things was WELL worth it.
    imageimage
    Breleigh & Mason
  • We just made that move about 2 months ago. Of course, we're not getting free rent and utilities, but we're definitely saving a good amount of money by renting and not owning anymore. Plus, we were able to sell our house for a bit of a profit, so that helped too. We're hoping to be able to stay here for about a year to save up for a bigger house. We figured a 2 bedroom apt (duplex) would be big enough for at least a little while....then we found out we were expecting #2 a few days after we signed the lease! So, we might end up moving a little sooner than planned, but we'll probably wait to see how squished we get :) I say go for it and save up those $$!
  • It depends on the quality of the apartment and the atmosphere of the apartment community.  I would totally jump on it for the reasons of saving money for a bigger house.

But, what if you get neighbors that are loud?  Do you think you could handle it?

I think it could be done.  GL!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • If the apartment complex isn't in a sketchy area, then it sounds like a decent idea. GL!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"