Special Needs

My worst fears came true today (long)

So today the girls had Rehab Clinic appointments.  We get there at 2 our appointment is at 2:15 and we have to wait until 3 just for the Dr. to even come in!  Then she sits down and asks "So....what's the problem?"    Um...you told us to come back in 6 months and we would have another discussion about the girls' progress?  Thankfully, the girls' PT came with us and helped me out a bunch.   We talked about equipment for the girls- a stander, some ankle braces, and a special seat for each of them that holds their heads better (it also fits on a stroller- kind of like a mini-wheelchair).  She agreed to all of that, examined the girls and said she would be right back with some papers to take downstairs for their braces.  When she came back she handed me the papers and I didn't even look at them.  She asked me if I had anymore questions, I said no.  Then I look at the paper she handed me and my heart about froze in my chest

Diagnosis: Cerebral Palsy

WHAT?!?!?!?!  I mean I always knew that from the lack of oxygen the girls suffered in utero, there was a chance, but NO ONE ever told me that this was their "formal diagnosis".  So of course I call her back into the room and ask what is up.  She says that from what she has gathered and her exam of the girls, they have CP.  A "formal" diagnosis won't be made until they are 2, but they can go ahead and say that is their diagnosis.      Complete and utter devestation is the only way I can describe it.  I felt my whole body go cold and numb, and I still feel that way.  I cannot believe my sweet baby girls have this and am saddened at the way we had to actually find out.  

Thanks for listening- you ladies are absolutly wonderful

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: My worst fears came true today (long)

• i'm so sorry!!

<hugs>

• I'm sorry the doc dropped a bomb like that on you with no warning...that was so unfair to you!
  • Loading the player...
  • Hugs!
    imageimageimageimageimage 9/07 m/c baby boy @ 18wks, 4/09 m/c @ 4.5wks
  • Oh, that's horrible! Is there anything positive to having a formal diagnosis?Like perhaps their care will be more steamlined since it will be clear to providers how to treat and care for them.

It just sucks the way the doctor handled it...people can be real jerks.?

• I'm sorry!! And sorry that you found out in that manner.  you need to take some time to adjust to this news and come to terms with the news you have been given.  And that can take time, and you need to give yourself that!  The grieiving process is different for everyone.  Like the PP stated, is there anything positive that comes from a dx?  Such as qualifying for more EI hours, funding, etc....  When you feel ready, contact your local united cerebral palsy organization- they offer support- parent groups, and respite care as well.  I think sometimes talking with others who have gone through waht you are going through can be helpful and often those parents have great insight and ideas of things to do and try and equipment reviews etc...

And although devastating news remember they are still amazing little girls who will touch so many and prove their strength and abilities to many!!!!  And from what I have read on here, they are lucky to have a mommy like you!!!

Best of luck.....

Kirsten DD 4-7-06
  • So sorry for you.  At least in my case as devastated as I was to get the worst case scenario diagnosis, I was just thankful to actually have one.  I think it can help you focus on just one specific thing and learn everything you can about it and go from there.  It is a very sad day for you and your family and you are in my thoughts. We are all here for you.
  • docs like that stink. ?honestly, do they really not have any bit of compassion? ?boo on them! ?from your posts you seem to be doing well with your girls and seem very positive. ?you're going to work it out and everything is going to go well. ?stay strong!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP 3/9/12 Natural M/C 4/11/12

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm so sorry.  It sounds like the doctor could have told you in a little better manor, also.

Hugs to you and your beautiful children.

• I hate doctors like that.  I am sure he could've found a better way to tell you.
  • what a crap way of handling things.

I hope you work through your feelings soon. It's great that the girls are going to get all the new txs. I wonder if the PT knows of any other Drs in the area that might have a better bedside manner for kids w/ CP.

imageimage
    Max 4-08-08 and Michael 2-03-91 (19 years olds)
    image Both boys were born w/ hirschsprung's disease, you find yourself facing this dx, please feel free to ask me any questions.
  • Some doctors have the WORST bedside manner. UGH. I am so sorry. But I can tell you that CP is the BROADEST "umbrella" term. It seems doctors sort of toss kids in that category for lack of better terms or more details. My daughter suffered a prenatal stroke and is technically categorized as having CP. She's far from most people's "idea" of what CP is, but honestly though, having that CP diagnosis has helped us get better services, etc., so I'm sort of glad she is listed as having it.

Hang in there. The time after a diagnosis that big is really tough. Just let it settle in and remember that your girls are just as beautiful and amazing today as they were before that diagnosis!

• I'm so sorry it happened the way it did!!!  That sounds horrible. 

I understand what you mean about disbelief - and how it just doesn't feel real.  It will get better!!! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Im so sorry. I know you'll be looking for a new doctor - doesn't sound like they have the compassion it will take to help a hurting mama or her baby girls. 
  • All I can muster is sorry. I can not imagine the pain and shock that you feel regarding the diagnosis. No one should have been told the way you were...I am so sorry.
  • So sorry for you and your girls and what an awful way to find out.  We are thinking of you!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • oh wow...what a day you've all had. (((GIANT HUGS))) Lots of prayers coming your way.

I'm so sorry your doc is such an insensitive ass.

• I am SO sorry about how this was handled!  As others have said, these are still your wonderful little girls and always will be.  Give yourself time to adjust and be patient with yourself.  {{{hugs}}}
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"