Eco-Friendly Family

Cooking ?

I made a roast in the crock pot today and I have all this valuable juice left can I use this as beef stock and freeze it?
"Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or usher storm, but to add color to my sunset sky." -- Rabindranath Tagore Recycling is like laughter, it's contagious! Invite all your friends!" Image and video hosting by TinyPicimageImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage

Re: Cooking ?

• I wouldn't use it as stock just as is, but you should absolutely keep it. Delicious. The juice leftover is technically "jus" (I think) and you could use it to make a simple gravy (seperate out the fat if you want, then add flour or cornstarch, simmer until thick), and you could probably use it in soup, but it's probably not as watery as stock.
  • I would. You could even freeze it in ice cube trays and later save it in a plastic bag to be able to take out exactly how much you want.

I have started freezing juice from cooking veggies to use as a soup base. We have a large freezer and they take less energy the more full they are, plus I'd just use regular water in a soup so this saves the water I would have used and gives the soup more flavor. Then I need less bullion.

• Loading the player...
  • Drippings are different from broth, but they certainly are worth saving and using for making gravy. Yum!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"