Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

DD got the chicken pox!

Ugh...stupid varicella vaccine gave DD a small dose of the chicken pox.  She's been cranky and running a low grade fever all week.  I just thought she was teething.  Last night when getting her ready for bed, I saw a couple of pimple looking spots on her...not red, just little bumps.  This morning the bumps from last night were now small red splotches and she had more of the little bumps all over her.  But no fever.  So I took her to the pedi this morning and she confirmed my fear.  Apparently she can get it again when she has her 2nd varicella at 4.

Re: DD got the chicken pox!

• wait she got this from the chicken pox vax? ?I just scheduled ds on wednesday. ?Now Im thinking about not getting it.
  • The same thing just happened to DS. He got the vaccine 2 weeks ago and we were at the pedi yesterday.
  • Loading the player...
  • So if she got it she should be immune now, right?  Why would she need the 2nd shot, or get it again then?
  • 1st pp, when you get the vax, they tell you they could get little bumps.

I'd rather little bumps and small fever from the vax than the full blown pox and what follows because you didn't give DC the vax

• Yes.  DD has never had a reaction to any other shots, so when they were talking to me about the possible reactions and times, I just passed it off because it had never happened before.  The varicella shot is actually a small, very light, dose of the chicken pox.  The pedi said that DD is not contagious as long as the spots stay flat and rash-like.  If they get the chicken pox "blisters" then she will be contagious and it will be considered a full-blown dose of the chicken pox.  The liquid in the blisters is what is contagious, not the spots themselves.  So far, none of them have turned to blisters, so I am keeping a close eye on them.  But she is not itchy, or running a fever.  Apparently this is not very common.

• You are lucky she has no blisters! DS doesn't have many spots but those that he has had blisters so I've had to wash my hands every time I've touched him because I don't want to catch shingles. My DH got the vaccine in October because he never got it as a kid and actually got full-blown chicken pox because of it. So apparently DS is just like his daddy.
  • Yeah, thankfully DH and I have both had chicken pox, but the pedi warned us about shingles.  According to her, the rash is pretty common, but the blisters are not, so hopefully it wont turn into that.

FSU- how do you keep them from scratching the blisters if they do turn into that?  The pedi just said Motrin or Tylenol, but what about oatmeal baths or something else to help soothe, just in case.  I hope your DS gets better soon!

• imageJDB3358:

FSU- how do you keep them from scratching the blisters if they do turn into that?  The pedi just said Motrin or Tylenol, but what about oatmeal baths or something else to help soothe, just in case.  I hope your DS gets better soon!

You can't for the most part keep them from scratching but DS isn't so maybe its not super itchy or maybe he doesn't really know how to scratch??? I actually gave him a bath last night with some Aveeno soap I have and then rubbed Aveeno lotion on him. I got that stuff at my baby shower and used it a few months ago when he broke out in hives and it really helped. They do sell those little oatmeal packs for babies too which we have used in the past but haven't needed to use them yet for this. My pedi said that if the itching did get bad to give him some benadryl. So if your DD starts itching I'd call your pedi to see if you can give her benadryl. 

• Yup. We've got it here too.?

We were walking around Target a few days after the shot and I noticed she kept scratching at her leg. ?I pulled up her pantleg and found a blotchy red patch of tiny bumps. ?Luckily I had to go back to the Pedi's office anyway to have them check her arm from her TB shot and while there I showed them the bumps and was told that it was a mild reaction. And basically what you said - to not be worried unless they turn into blisters or she starts running a fever.

No fever and no blisters here so I think we're in the clear. ?But just to be safe I'm keeping her away from my pregnant friend and my other friend and her 2 week old until the red patches are gone. ?

I think the point of the vaccine is that while they may have a mild reaction it's better than having full-blown chicken pox. ?I remember I had it when I was 14 and it was horrible. ?I was out of school for nearly 3 weeks with a crazy fever and had blisters in places I'd rather not think about. Better for my daughter to have rash now than to go through what I did. ? ??

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"