Babies: 9 - 12 Months

am I being too critical?

so dh and I have been kind of off for a while, I don't know what it is.  We can't get along, we don't really 'FIGHT" but we bicker alot about dumb shit_ like we just think the other one is picking at the other and we just get really defensive.  I've tried to get him to go to counseling w/ me, he won't.  Anyway...I am a sahm and on the weekends I expect him to watch dd so that I can clean ( i know how dare I!) all the stuff I didn't get to during the week.  I had been cleaning our room and dh was watching dd.  I say watching, he was watching the tv and she was playing on the floor. Whenever I ask him to watch her that is what he does, he says he is playing w/ her but he is watching The Bourne Identity or Rocky or some other violent action movie.  I know she is 9 mo but it's alot of shooting and junk and I say we should start as we mean to go on.  I tried to explain to him that I dn't have the tv on during the week except for maybe 30mins inthe morning when I'm trying to get a shower or get dressed and maybe I will watch some Oprah in the afternoon.  I am mostly playing w/ dd, nursing her,  or cleaning and hve music on.  it really bothers me that he has to have tv on and he is not interacting w/ her at all.  He doesn't talk to her, he will just say her name at her over and over again, stuff like that.   Am I being too picky about the tv thing?  I feel like they aren't bonded at all and he sees her as kind of a chore.  thanks for listening/reading :)
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: am I being too critical?

• I don't think you are being too picky. Sometimes I see DH just holding DD on his lap while watching TV and remind him that that is NOT "playing" with her.
  • I don't think that you are being too critical but I think what you are going through is a very common. ?I had the same problem with dh when dd was an infant. ?In his case, he would put basketball on and 'play' with her ( hold a block in front of her was more like it)...

I truly think that men, for the most part, just don't know what to do with infants. ?As dd got older ( she is 3.5 now) dh got so much better with her. ?Once she started talking and really playing, things improved greatly. ?Now that they can actually play cards and board games, he is so much better with her. ?

I find he is reverting back to his old self with ds who is 8 months... ?at least now I have hope that things will get better:)?

• Loading the player...
  • I could have writtent this post myself!!!  Seriously.  You have a right to protect your DD.  What I do is literally go up to the tv and either turn the channel or turn it off....he'll eventually 'get it'.   Keep explaining WHY you feel this way.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"