Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Momma's with Reflux babies come in ****

My LO just started taking Zantac last night and I was wondering how long before I start seeing any improvements. I've been an emotional wreck. Right now my LO is so congested and has been chocking/gagging on her mucous more then 10 times per day. It's so scary. I see her turn bright red and struggle to breathe. I can't stand it. I'm so scared for her and feel so bad that she has to go through this pain. If your LO chokes or gags what do you do? Right now I'm picking her upright and pat her back. Any advice would be appreciated. Also, if your LO has taken Zantac, how was their experience? Did they get better?

Re: Momma's with Reflux babies come in ****

• Options
    Zantac worked for us within the first couple of days, but we had to change meds soon after.  DS doesn't do the choking thing you are describing, so I can't help you with that.  It sounds awful, poor thing.
  • Options

DS is on Prevacid, but I think it works the same way as Zantac.  It has taken several adjustments to the medication to figure out the right amount (1ml 2x a day) and then it was about 2 days for it to really kick in.  When his reflux does bother him despite the meds, I also hold him upright, rub his back, and give him kisses.  It is heartbreaking to see them struggle and be in so much pain. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

We saw a difference the day after we started it. I would definitely use the saline to keep the mucous out of her nose and use a humidifier. Proper her crib up on one side so that her head is raised. We also allowed dd to sleep on her side (right usually). That really helped her.?

Now she sleeps on her belly and that helps the reflux too. But that you'd have to decide on your comfort level. ?

• Options

First off, I'm sorry you have to deal with this.  Reflux is exhausting both mentally and physically.

DD started on Prevacid and then was switched to Zantac.  The Zantac didn't appear to be working so they upped her dose and put her back on Prevacid.  Knock on wood, but I think the combo is working.  We noticed the increase in Zantac work after a few days.

Also, I'm not sure if your LO gags when they eat but our pedi recommended to thinken the milk with rice cereal and it's helped a ton.

imageimage

Children Photography Photo Credit: Heather Barta Photography

• Options
    My DD started taking Zantac on Thursday night and has had 3 doses total.  I haven't noticed a significant improvement and she has still been coughing/choking/gagging on the mucus.  I am hoping that there will be some improvement soo.  It is so hard for her when she is doing this and it breaks my heart.  I have been trying to turn her on her side and pat her back.  I also take the bulb syringe and try to get as much as I can out her nose and mouth.  My ped. also recommended saline drops and to have her sleep elevated.  For the past two nights she has slept in her papasan bouncer and has slept much better.  I was really nervous about this diagnosis because she is less than a month old and am nervous about it getting worse before it gets better.  This is rough on a new mom and baby!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"