Working Moms
Options

When did BFing and pumping at work become hard?

So far, it is a mild annoyance, but nothing too bad.  Was there a point where you just hit a wall and had to work your way through it?

Re: When did BFing and pumping at work become hard?

• Options
    I think when Billy was 9 months - it got to be a pain and then when he was just about 11 months and I started having supply issues so it was stressful and I was also pumping 4 times a day to try get enough - that's when I began hating it.  But I pumped until he turned a year and it's one of the things I am most proud of.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    It depends on your work/work environment. Some days I didn't even get a break until the end of my shift so I was stressing that I didn't pump for 8 hours and then DS wouldn't have enough milk for the next day. I took it 3 months at a time. There are always good weeks and bad weeks.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

When I got to about 7 months.  I hated to pump and was barely getting anything.  I made it to 8 months.  My 1st goal was 6 so I passed that.

GL

• Options
    9 month supply dip was stressful, but otherwise I think it got easier as I went along.
  • Options

Pumping was the most difficult for me when DS was around 5 months old.  He was consuming up to 22.5 oz of BM while at daycare and I was pumping around 18 oz a day while at work. I had to dip into my freezer stash and was pumping before I went to bed and on the weekends in order to catch up.  I was stressed about not keeping up and made the decision to start DS on solids when he was a little over 5 months old (I had hoped to EBF until 6 months).  DS is now 9 months old and gets both solids and BM.  I pump more than he drinks, so I think I'll be okay until I wean him.

Even though it has been difficult and stressful, I think it is worth it.

• Options
    I was getting close to quitting at the 7 month mark as my supply really dipped and I really had to dip into my frozen stash. Knowing i did have milk stored up did take some of the stress off but for quite a few weeks i was pretty close to tears! Also hitting the 11th month mark was tough because I knew the end was in sight and by then I was really tired of the pumping sessions since i had major deadlines at work. But I just kept pushing through and today we made it to a year! Its been stressful and a real pain in my butt but totally worth it!
  • Options

Yes, there were lots of points like that Smile I had a challenging work schedule due to occasional onsite customer visits, so it wasn't too bad when I was at home but any customer visit day was a huge PITA. I also had supply dips every few weeks throughout the last few months, and that was tough to work through.

I would say that months 5-7 were the hardest. By 8 months of age, she was pretty well-established on solids and I was able to drop a pumping session (from 4x/day to 3x/day) and pump less on customer visit days without having to worry too much about my supply. The occasional supply dip did scare me, but I always recovered within a few days.

Mommy to DD1 (June 2007), DS (January 2010), DD2 (July 2012), and The Next One (EDD 3/31/2015)

• Options

For me, the hardest part was right around 5-7 months.  That's when he was eating the most and I was struggling to keep up.  Now he's drinking way less milk since he's on solids. 

I don't know that pumping is hard for me now, necessarily.  I have an office and I can pump while I work, and I have my routine down.  It's just tedious to have to do it every day and I feel like I'm hooked up to the pump all. the. time.  Some days it's bad if I have meetings.  And I don't like having to think ahead about when I'll have to pump, etc. 

I just feel tired all the time, though.  My coworker just stopped nursing and pumping and said she got a lot of energy back, so I'm hopeful that in a few months, I'll feel better.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Early -- about 3 months.   I was not a big producer by any stretch of the imagination and I was only able to pump small amounts that could not keep up with DD's demand which swung up again about 3 months.  It was really disheartening to spend the time to pump (15-20 minutes) and only get 3-4 oz max.  I finally just accepted what it was and began a slow wean, just BFing at night and in the morning and that was working well for everyone.  I finally went to 100% FF at 4 mos.

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• Options

Around 9 months.  It got harder and harder to fit it in at work and I was so tired of pumping.  I did make it to 12 months though and he self-weaned.

• Options
    It was never a problem for me.  I just pumped once a day from 8-11 mos and stopped pumping at 11 mos.  No biggie.  I am lucky, I guess.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"