Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Do you still wash your new baby clothes before they wear them?

I did that like crazy before I had the baby, but now that I don't have as much time I have skipped it on the new stuff Embarrassed

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
DD #1 passed away in January 2011 at 14 days old due to congenital heart disease
DD#2 lost in January 2012 at 23 weeks due to anhydramnios caused by a placental abruption

Re: Do you still wash your new baby clothes before they wear them?

• I do - but I think my son's skin a little sensitive, so I don't want to agitate him anymore than it already is...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • i do, but i also wash my own new clothes.  i do it just as a precaution...who knows what kind of residue is on them from the factory.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I do however I wash them with all of our clothes and I dry them with dryer sheets.  Never had any issues.

Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.- Art Buchwald Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageMjmksb04:

I did that like crazy before I had the baby, but now that I don't have as much time I have skipped it on the new stuff Embarrassed

I do.

• Yes...more because I'm worried about germs not his skin breaking out.
  • imageLaLO929:

I do however I wash them with all of our clothes and I dry them with dryer sheets.  Never had any issues.

i do this too (minus the drier sheets) - we use free & clear though.

• Yup! I'm always worried about how many people have touched the clothes cefore I bought them, especially since I clearance shop often.
  • i do, and i make sure i do ever since one nestie said that she used to work at a clothing store, and some of the clothes get dropped on the floor and stepped on, but what really got me was when she said that the clothes get shipped to them with those little white packets "of salt things" in them, in order to keep them fresh. it just stuck in my head so i wash everything before i put it on ds.
  • Yes for both girls.
    J1 1.19.07
    J2 11.17.08
  • Looks like I'm in the minority.  I don't wash new baby clothes anymore.  He doesn't seem to have any issues with sensitive skin.  I also wash his stuff in the same detergent and use the same dryer sheets as I use for all the rest of the laundry.
  • No DS doesn't have sensitive skin so I figure there's no point.
  • Yep, I do.  I have a thing though about washing even my own clothes before I wear them.
  • I do, but I also wash all of my clothes before wearing them too.  New, unwashed clothes gross me out.  I just imagine all of the people that handled them/tried them on before me and I have to wash them.
  • Yes, I still wash all of her clothes before she wears them.  I don't like the smell of new clothes.  We just use a free and clear detergent, though.  I think that the issue with dryer sheets is that they can have an effect on the non-flammable properties of baby clothes.  That is what is written on the dryer sheet package, anyway.  I have Bounce and a generic brand and it is written on both packages.
  • imagejenpoz:
    Yes, I still wash all of her clothes before she wears them.  I don't like the smell of new clothes.  We just use a free and clear detergent, though.  I think that the issue with dryer sheets is that they can have an effect on the non-flammable properties of baby clothes.  That is what is written on the dryer sheet package, anyway.  I have Bounce and a generic brand and it is written on both packages.

Actually the issue with dryer sheets is that they are basically all chemicals and it doesn't really  make sense to wash with free and clear and then use a dryer sheet which adds perfumes and chemicals back to the clothes.

DD #1 passed away in January 2011 at 14 days old due to congenital heart disease
    DD#2 lost in January 2012 at 23 weeks due to anhydramnios caused by a placental abruption
  • Yes, I do for both kids!

• I still wash MY clothes before I wear them.
  • imagelnbohac:
    Looks like I'm in the minority.  I don't wash new baby clothes anymore.  He doesn't seem to have any issues with sensitive skin.  I also wash his stuff in the same detergent and use the same dryer sheets as I use for all the rest of the laundry.

ditto

• I def. do - I wash MY new clothes before I wear them. There are so many gross things on them to keep them "new" I wouldn't want my LO to be wearing chemicals all day.

DS 5 years old
    DD 2 years old
    {Baby GIRL due 6.1}

• I'm pretty sure formaldehyde is one of the preservative chemicals they treat new clothes with... yuck.
    DS 5 years old
    DD 2 years old
    {Baby GIRL due 6.1}

• imagerynhales:

imagelnbohac:
    Looks like I'm in the minority.? I don't wash new baby clothes anymore.? He doesn't seem to have any issues with sensitive skin.? I also wash his stuff in the same detergent and use the same dryer sheets as I use for all the rest of the laundry.

ditto

All this minus the dryer sheets - I don't use them on any of our clothes. ?Sometimes I remember and wash his clothes but for the most part I don't, he's been fine...?

• imagebetsnup:
    I do, but I also wash all of my clothes before wearing them too.? New, unwashed clothes gross me out.? I just imagine all of the people that handled them/tried them on before me and I have to wash them.

ditto. I cannot imagine NOT washing "new" clothes... who knows where they've been. yuck!?

• I do. I have really sensitive skin so I am always worried that DS will get that from me. I also wash my sheets and the couch blankets in Dreft.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"