Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Yah or Nay child birth classes?

Did you take them? if so, was it worth it?  Opinions etc TIA
Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Yah or Nay child birth classes?

• I took them. I enjoyed them and learned a few things.  But, when I was in labor all the stuff I learned went out the window!  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I did not and am happy i didn't.
  • Loading the player...
  • I didn't take them. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We took the one day express class.  I am glad we did it mainly because my DH learned a lot.  For me, I almost felt more nervous after the class because I learned more. 
    Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.- Art Buchwald Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • we did - it helped us mentally prepare.  Though the breastfeeding class that both dh and i went to was great!
  • We didnt either. I glad we didnt.
  • imageMrsG2B07:
    I took them. I enjoyed them and learned a few things.  But, when I was in labor all the stuff I learned went out the window!  

ditto.

• I took a condensed one day class and yes - it was helpful for both me and DH.

I don't see a need for a long drawn out multiweek kind of class though - unless you are trying to go drug-free, in which case it might be helpful to have more prep.

• We took them, our class was very informative. I'm glad we took it because we kind of knew what to expect during labor. We also met and became friends with some couples who would have kids around the same age as DS.
  • I took them, but I wish that I hadn't. They freaked me out and made me worry about too many things. In my case I think "ignorance is bliss"!!!!
  • We took a multi-week class and it was fabulous. We wanted a med-free birth at a birth center and sure enough, the classes really prepared us - the birth was an incredible experience! (Hard as hellz, but it was incredible to "be there" for all of it. And as soon as I delivered I felt great and the baby was wide awake - I'm still in awe of those first hours he was with us!)

Even if you don't plan on med-free, knowing what the heck is happening would have been essential for us - we understood what was happening at every stage and had ways of coping with it so I wasn't scared - just working really hard. If you can find a real class taugh by a midwife or a doula, I highly recommend it.

Ditto on making friends with other couples, too - so much fun to go every week.

• We did and really enjoyed especially the bf class
  • I didn't take them and everything was fine.  If you can get a hold of a DVD or something, I would suggest that.  I just watched a DVD and it didn't teach me anything that I hadn't read about on my own.  I did take a breastfeeding class, and that was very helpful.
  • We did a multi-week class and loved it. We were both very happy we took it. The class was very informative. We really appreciated learning what would happen in case of an emergency... they explained what the nurses and doctors would do and why. Also, one week we took a tour of the hospital (the rooms, places for family to go to get food, where the fridge was, etc) which was a lot of fun.

It is nice to be able to go and hang out with people who are also expecting children that will be around the same age as your LO. It sounds silly but it is kind of a bonding experience and you can make some very good friends!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I thought they were very helpful and so did my H. The  nurse who did ours way very pro natural birth, and that was awesome.

DD #1 passed away in January 2011 at 14 days old due to congenital heart disease
    DD#2 lost in January 2012 at 23 weeks due to anhydramnios caused by a placental abruption
  • imageBlessedMommy723:

We did a multi-week class and loved it. We were both very happy we took it. The class was very informative. We really appreciated learning what would happen in case of an emergency... they explained what the nurses and doctors would do and why. Also, one week we took a tour of the hospital (the rooms, places for family to go to get food, where the fridge was, etc) which was a lot of fun.

It is nice to be able to go and hang out with people who are also expecting children that will be around the same age as your LO. It sounds silly but it is kind of a bonding experience and you can make some very good friends!

ditto this. We took them before our DD's birth and loved them. I found them amazingly useful during labor. I used a lot of the stuff they taught us.

My two PCOS miracles! Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Nay... And glad we didn't. The nurses will talk you through how to push, etc. etc. and I did so much research on my own that I dont feel like there was anything that I wasn't prepared for. Sometimes I think it could be better for men to prepare them for what the process will be like...
  • We took the hospital's classes and they really helped ease my mind. We got to hear the hospitals policies (episiotomies hardly ever happen, nurses with pink tags are also doulas and if you want to try a natural birth you can request one of the nurses, rooming in, etc.)

If your hospital has one I would recommend it, At the least you can make some new friends.?

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to be over, it's about learning how to dance in the rain." -Unknown

Married 3-1-08  |  Nathan 11-24-08  |  Kaelyn 11-30-10  |  Alicia  8-17-13

• imageKellyNAaron:
    Nay... And glad we didn't. The nurses will talk you through how to push, etc. etc. and I did so much research on my own that I dont feel like there was anything that I wasn't prepared for. Sometimes I think it could be better for men to prepare them for what the process will be like...

Totally agree.

Playing with Papa at the Beach
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I think you need to educate yourself on childbirth one way or another.  I did a lot of reading and took a class - by the time I took the class though, I felt like everything they taught us I already knew so reading alone probably would have been fine for me personally.

I was going for a med free birth (and was successful).  Even if you plan to have an epi, you should know some pain management techniques if it doesn't work for some reason - it happens often enough that I don't understand how anyone can go into it without preparation. 

imageimage 
  • imageMrsG2B07:
    I took them. I enjoyed them and learned a few things.  But, when I was in labor all the stuff I learned went out the window!  

We didn't take them and the above quote is exactly why we didn't want to waste the $50 to take the class! Many of my family said the exact same thing. I spend a few $ and bought a DVD that we watched at home on our own time. I previewed it and made DH watch the parts he should know.

• I did not take them. I figured I'd just "go with the flow" and the nurses would tell me what to do. I had an emergency c-section before I was even pushing so wasn't necessary anyway...
  • I ended up having an emergency c/s, but had a pretty intense labor. I definitely think learning the relaxation techniques helped me quite a bit.
  • We did it, waste of $150. I think I would have gotten more out of a newborn care class. I had done tons of babysitting and kids around, but a newborn is different.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"