Adoption
Options

domestic infant adoption via attorney instead of agency?

We have an agency we like, but before we make the final decision we were thinking of investigating the process through an attorney.

Anyone using / has used an attorney to facilitate an adoption for a domestic infant?

If so, why did you choose that route?

What is/was your experience like?

My understanding is that you have to do all the marketing / searching on your own for a BM.  We're fine with that part even though it does seem a bit overwhelming. 

Thanks.

TTC #1 for over 5 years - too many to count IF treatments (tried everything and anything), repeat miscarriages. Finally, Sticky Success!! B/G Twins arrived 2011. VOTE on my Name List Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: domestic infant adoption via attorney instead of agency?

• Options
    We didn't do a private adoption.  We used an agency, but my friend and her husband hired an adoption attorney and he did the searching for her.  They made a profile and had a home study and then he was on the look out for potential birth parents.  She ended up adopting twin boys.  She said it was a great experience and that she was very happy with the attorney.  It's also a lot cheaper than going through an agency.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

We're going that route, because there isn't a domestic agency in our area outside of Catholic Social Services and we aren't eligible with them (we haven't been married for 3 years).

Our lawyer does a lot of marketing, but we also do some of our own.  We're somewhat limited b/c in our state adoptive parents can't "solicit" birthmothers.  But we're part of a group that our lawyer helped found here that includes adoptive parents, lawyers, facilitators, and social workers -- and collectively we market to clinics, doctors, after school groups, counselors, etc.  We've got posters and brochures up all over the area.  Our lawyer is fairly well-known and most of her placements come from calls she gets from the hospital or a doctor -- she also has a relationship with many of the women's shelters and crisis pregnancy shelters in the area.

We decided to go this route due to cost, even if there was an agency in our area, we like this method.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"