Parenting after a Loss

Slept like crap last night..

Me, that is.  Not DD.  She slept fantastic... 11.5 hours.  God bless her.

Ever since realizing the amount of net cash I am bringing home (after paying our nanny, and my deductions for health insurance and 401K), I am literally sick over it.  I used to make this great salary (mostly due to overtime), and now that I'm not only not working overtime, but also less hours per week, my pay has literally been cut in half.  Seriously.  It's pathetic.  And I'm still covering all the same responsibilities I had before, plus more!! It just doesn't make sense!

I woke up at 3 am last night and was up for like an hour just thinking about it.

Couple that with the devastating news on the economy and I'm just in a total financial funk :(  Even though DH and I are definitely comfortable and OK... we have no financial worries.  But why am I busting my ass, working hard, to bring home 50% of what I used to make?!!!

I have my review coming up next month, and I'm tempted to bring this up with my boss and CEO.  They've been so flexible with me regarding my working schedule (which I really appreciate), but they also have a great deal.... the cost of one employee for 50% less!  Do you think it's a valid argument to make that I will not be clocking any overtime for the forseeable future (now with a kid, I don't have all these "extra hours" to spare), that I should have a higher hourly rate to compensate for it?  Everyone at my job clocks overtime... that's what makes the salary good.  And it's not like they've had to hire someone new to cover for the fewer hours I'm putting in.  I'm just working harder and more focused.

Sigh...

Re: Slept like crap last night..

• I am sorry that finances are an issue right now. That always sucks. As far as mentioning pay to your boss, my theory is always "the worst they can say is No." I would definitely bring it up and see what they say. Even if they say No right now, maybe putting the bug in their ears will get them to say Yes later

Good luck!

• :( ?I'm sorry you're stressed. ?I don't have any great advice, but IMO it never hurts to ask for what you want and need to be happy! ?It sounds like you're valued there, based on your previous work posts, so the worst they're going to do is tell you no.
    the bug & bee blog
    (read it. you know you want to.)
    anderson . september 2008
    vivian . february 2010
    mabel . august 2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • I often stay awake at night or get semi-anxiety attacks over money, or lack thereof, so I totally understand.

From what I know about you, I guarantee they are getting you for a BARGAIN considering how much you rock, so I would totally see if you can get a bump in salary. I am certain you are worth it.

Hugs!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"