Breastfeeding

baby only eating one breast at a time...concern?

Last night, ds was feeding about every hour and a half but would only eat from one breast at each feeding.  I've read in So thats what their for and Nursing mother's companion  that this is ok, but it just doesn' feel right to me. I feel like either my supply will dwindle or he's not getting enough. 

i never though i would be this much of a worrier!!!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: baby only eating one breast at a time...concern?

• you should be fine. its good in a way bc hes getting the hind milk and thats the best for him. If you are concerned about your supply, then maybe pump for a  little on the other side when hes done. If you go more than 4 hours without nursing on one side I would def pump, esp this early in the game.
  • I actually was told by my LC and at the breastfeeding class I went to that we should only feed on one side per feeding so it must be ok!
  • Loading the player...
  • I only feed one breast at a time and have done that since the beginning. No problems!!!
  • Thanks everyone!  I appreciate the support.
  • One breast is fine.  That's all Kate ever took at one time, and I had major oversupply the entire time she nursed (birth-six months).  It's finally under control now.
  • My DS always only eats from one breast and he's gaining a ton! ?I think I might have a lot of milk though. ?I think if he's still hungry, he'll let you know. ?I'm also pumping a bottle in the morning and I think it's helping my supply.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Don't worry DS is getting enough just follow his lead. If you continue to offer and he is still hungry he will eat from that side. My DS has only ever nursed from one side is growing well. Don't worry you are fine.
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyName Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My DD has never nursed from both breasts at a single feeding. Ever. She's now almost 16 months old and in the 75th %ile for height and 95th %ile for weight.

Don't force anything. If he's still hungry, he'll always let you know. HTH

• Thanks again everyone, i really appreciate it.  BF is soo stressful, but soo worth it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"