Illinois Babies
Options

Birthing Centers around Chicago

I asked my Dr this wknd if there were any birthing centers in the area and he looked at me like I had 2 heads and said, "I don't know what you mean by birthing center."  That threw me off.  I know the hospital and Doctors are all very by-the-book and won't bring up alternative options for having your baby.  But really?  He had no clue what I was talking about?  I find that hard to believe.  My doctors are all very nice and I'd be fine delivering at the hospital, but I'm just interested in finding out my other options.  I've heard such good things about delivering at a birthing center with a midwife, so I'd like to check it out and see what's available.

Anyone know where I can find info on birthing centers in the Chicago area?  I will deliver at St. Alexius in Hoffman Estates (if I don't change my plan), so anywhere around there would be good.  TIA.

Re: Birthing Centers around Chicago

• Options
    I researched a little bit and as far as I know there are no birthing centers in the state of Illinois.  I may be wrong, but I couldn't find any.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

The information I'm finding seems to be that there are no free standing birthing centers in IL.  There are some hospitals which offer a birthing center atmosphere inside their maternity ward.  My mom had both me & my brother in an Alternative Birthing Suite at Illinois Masonic in Chicago and gives them great reviews.

I?m not finding anything in my area though.  If I were to switch to one of these other hospitals I?d have quite a drive.  So, if anyone has any more info or can share your experience at St. Alexius, Northwest Community, or Central DuPage hospitals? it might be helpful.  Thanks!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I gave birth at Saint Mary's. It has a birthing center.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"