Washington Babies
Options

Sort of BR: Do you wear shoes inside the house?

When I was single , I always took my shoes off when I got home. Friends saw my shoes and assumed I wanted them off. After I got married, DH just wouldn't do it, and after much complaining , I let it go. When Nathan started crawling, I was ablt to convince him that iit;s icky to wear shoes..but have trouble asking guests to take shoes their off. My inlaws are the BIGGEST offenders, and DH has asked them numerous times, but they don't get it!

If you feel the same way, how do you get people to take their shoes off (without using a "please remove your shoes" sign!)?

If you do wear shoes at home, are you offended when others ask you to remove your shoes?

Am I overthinking this ? ;)

Re: Sort of BR: Do you wear shoes inside the house?

• Options

We take our shoes off, and really, it is a good idea.   I saw something on Good Morning America or some show like that and they were talking about all of the crap you can track in and it grossed me out.

That said, I usually dont' ask people to take off their shoes, but most people just do.   My friend has a big basket of slippers and heavy socks and stuff by the door and just asks everyone to take tehir shoes off, but gives you something to put on your feet if you want.  I think that's nice.

I have another friend with a sign outside her door - they actually take their shoes off and leave them outside (which I think is weird) and they have a rock that is by the door that says to take your shoes off.

Your ILs need to understand that it's your house, and your rules, and if they want to come in, they have to take their shoes off.  Maybe do some Google research about all of the nasty stuff they can track in and print it out for them.  :)

• Options

Well, I'm part Asian so it's just a cultural thing for me not to have shoes worn inside the house.  What exactly happens when your IL's come over?  Do you or DH ask them to remove their shoes right then?  Do they just not listen?  I'm confuzzled. 

I would just greet people at the door, ask them politely if they would please remove their shoes before entering, and don't let them past you until they do.  :)

-Deborah

• Loading the player...
  • Options

cwhip, I'm Asian too (Sri Lankan) Maybe that's why it's a big deal for me. re. my inlaws..At first they wouldn't take their shoes off at all. Then DH had ANOtHER talk with them, and they would wear their shoes inside, walk to the sofa, and then take their shoes off. Today, they came over to baby sit, and wore shoes all over the house...Sigh...

It was a huge battle, getting them to wash their hands before touching Nathan, when he was a baby. Even after he was hospitalized for RSV, DH had to have 3-4 conversations and they still wouldn't do it. I had to be blunt and say "please wash your hands" when they tried to hold him.

• Options

We keep our shoes on, but that's because we have 2 huge dogs that track all kinds of stuff in the house. I DO vaccum every day, and sometimes twice.

When people come over, I tell them they can leave their shoes on (so their socks don't get dirty), or they can take them off. When I go to other people's houses I always take them off.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We don't have a no shoes rule but I typically run around in socks when I get home because I'm more comfy that way.  However the shoes thing has its place, its fine if you don't want to wear your shoes inside but I hate it when I HAVE to take my shoes off at other people's houses, epseically if I'm there for a party or something like that.  My shoes are a part of my outfit, don't entertain at your house if you want me to leave half of my outfit at the door.  My Il's make us take our shoes off at their house and its a real pain in the arse especially trying to get all of Cruz's stuff together and wrangle him while trying to get shoes on.  Ugh so yeah I guess I'm one of those people that thinks if its a guest in your house you should overlook it if your guests don't feel comfortable taking off their shoes.
    imageimage Brothers! image
  • Options

DH has been training me to do it. I totally see the reasons to, but I just feel like I am in "get stuff done" mode when I have shoes on so sometimes I'm reluctant to take them off. But we're trying to be a shoes-off household to prepare for the baby.

That said, we won't ask other people to take them off.??Our friends often do for their own comfort, but my dad is an amputee and it's not possible for him to take his shoes off so... ?we just figure that "most of the time" is better than "none of the time" and we'll give a good mop after company goes home. :)

Do you have a bench by the door where they can sit to take shoes off? That may help to encourage them.?

• Options
    Yeah, even in a "no shoes" house, if it was a party and people were dressed up, I would find it really really strange to tell people to take them off.  But for every day visits from your ILs, they can take their shoes off. 
  • Options
    If we had a mud room or something I might want to have a shoes off rule, but I can't imagine walking through the door with arm loads of groceries and stopping to take my shoes off.  For the most part, we walk around without shoes.  I wear slippers AND socks because I'm always cold, but James and Tillman go barefoot (as do Sadie, Skittles and Billy Bones).  We do not ask people to take their shoes off, but I would LOVE it if James would at least take his blasted, dirty caked boots off!  I have requested that he at least stay off the carpet with them.
    T-man (07/27/05, 2:52pm, 10 lbs, 2 oz, 22") My Blog
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers image
    TTC #2 for a million years: SA normal, CD 23 bloodwork shows nothing amiss, ovulation detected. Next step: ? maybe CD3 bloodwork to check eggs? All out of pocket, so limited IF tests/treatments.
  • Options
    Yeah, we take our shoes off in our house. Unfortunatley I dont have enough balls to ask others to take theirs off...most of the time people assume that since we have mostly hardwood floors that they *should* leave their shoes on. It sucks b/c hardwood floors+shoes=tons of dust,mud and crap to sweep up later...

We always take our shoes off in other people houses just to be safe (and polite) :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

We wear shoes inside our house.  Not all evening, but we wear them when we first get home, walking around a bit.  I personally wouldn't put a sign up in my house even if I had a strict no-shoes policy.  I follow cues at other peoples' houses and take mine off if that's what they do. 

• Options

We have a "no shoes" rule.  We have a bench in our entry and a place for shoes there.  Megan even removes her shoes (and coat) before going past the entry.

HOWEVER, DH does not take his shoes off.  He is disabled and without his shoes (which brace his left foot) he would need to use his wheelchair as opposed to walking.  He tracks all sorts of crap in (we have a gravel driveway because we live on acreage) and I get REALLY annoyed by it.  What can I say though?

Love: 8/2000 | Marriage: 7/2005 | Baby makes three: 3/28/2007 | And one more makes...SIX?
    Steal my kids picture or pretend they are yours, I will find where you live and ship all of their dirty diapers to your doorstep. Promise. image
  • Options

Thanks for the input! I'm with you on NOT asking people to take shoes off if they are guests. If they ask, I tell him we do take 'em off because of the baby. If people come over dressed in cocktail dresses and high heels, of course I'm not asking them to take their shoes off! I guess I was just pissed about my in laws:)

• Options

So do you have a bench by the door where they can take their shoes off?  Maybe that would help?  If they're semi-willing to take them off at the couch, maybe since they're not comfortable balancing on one foot to get their shoes off.  ANd maybe you could buy them some special slippers just for them to have at your house so they arent' "barefoot" and would feel more comfortable?

• Options
    My husband used to live in Hawaii and ever since then is really adament about no shoes in the house.  I agree in general, but am far less anal than him.  We keep a basket by the door when I keep shoes and that usually gives the hint.  However, if someone doesn't ask and/or we are entertaining I absolutely do not ask or expect people to take them off.  I will clean the house after company so I figure it's fine either way. 
  • Options

I didn't read the other responses, so this may be redundan, but...

We are easing into a no shoes policy, but we have a dog, so the main point is to preserve the finish on the floors (i have to clean them less often, but the same junk is getting tracked in).  We have a basket of slippers and slipper socks and a shoe shelf for our and guest shoes.

You could buy some of those shoe covers doctors and realtors wear, and offer them to your ils that won't take off their shoes!

Boy 10.6.13
    Labored at freestanding birth center using hypnobirthing techniques
    Delivered via csection
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"