D.C. Area Babies
Options

Naming after relatives- WWYD

We're naming DD Sophia Jordana or Sophia Giordana (DH said the spelling of the middle name is really up to me) and our last name is a VERY common Jewish last name. 

Her middle name is after my grandfather, whose name was George.  I"m not sure how I feel about the Giordana spelling (and DH doesn't like Geordana), but while I like the J spelling a lot, I'm also not sure how I feel about naming her with a J since my grandfather's name started with a G.  Am I not really honoring him since it's the same sound, and not the same letter?  We're planning to use the same letter as my grandfather for her hebrew name either way. 

What are your thoughts and WWYD?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Naming after relatives- WWYD

• Options
    According to my cousins, its the first letter that matters if you're not going to use the actual name which is how one of my cousin's kids ended up with Ethan after Uncle Eddie.  We are Jewish, but very agnostic if that colors your view of my post.
  • Options
    My fathers family is Jewish, I'm Catholic, so I am not the most schooled here, but I thought you could give your daughter the same Hebrew name that your grandfather has and it would be in honor of him the same way as choosing a name with the same letter.  I don't think sound counts from what I understand of the process.   What about going with a more feminine version of George, like Georgia or Georgianna - the connection would be clearer there.  We have it easy with the first child, girl and I love both of my now deceased grandmothers names.  Grandfathers would be harder - my Jewish one is Herman.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Before I finished reading the thread, I liked the "G" spelling better (and still do). ?From my understanding of Jewish tradition, you name the child using the first initial of the relative's name, so the G makes more sense in that respect as well.
  • Options
    I have a co-woker named Georgene, who is named after her father George. I think it's a nice name, and it goes well after Sophia - at least I think so. ?I really like Georgia, but not so much with Sophia. ?Just an idea.
  • Options
    I don't know from Jewish traditions, but I like Georgianna or Georgianne or Georgia as options to honor "George."  (my dad's name is George Smile)
    Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.
  • Options

You've probably nixed this already, but what about the name Georgette?

Honestly, if you want to abide by the tradition of using the first letter, I would pick a different name altogether than Jordana or Giordana.  If you don't really care too much about following tradition, but like the name enough, I'd just go with Jordana.

• Options
    Giordana sounds more Mediterranean (Italian) to me, but as far as naming after a relative I think it is the thought that counts.  My daughter is Maggie after my mom - whose name was Magdelon but she went by Madge.  I just didn't like the whole name of Magdelon or Margaret nor the nickname Madge, but nonetheless I still say I named her after my mom.
  • Options
    I am not Jewish, but my husband is and from what I gather, it is the letter of the name that matters. So, his grand fathers were Charles and Julius, so he REALLY wanted to pick J or C names...which was no prob because I found ones I like. It is limiting though, I know....I would say, since you are using the same letter for her Hebrew name and you like the "J" spelling better, do whatever makes you feel comfortable...though, you may want to ask someone who knows more about these things, like a Rabbi or someone at your congregation...best of luck no matter what you decide!
  • Options
    If you're going to follow tradition, it's more important that the name begin with the same letter.  And personally, I like the spelling of Giordana. :)
  • Options

I am Jewish and based on discussions with my Rabbi, there are many Traditions about how to name a child after someone.  It's a tradtion, not a law.  Most name after somoene who is deceased, but apprantly the Sephardim name after an older relative to honor tham.  many Ashkanizi older relatives may find that offensive, so he advised that if we wanted to go that route to check with the living relative first. 

As far as the name, one popular/common tradition is the first letter, some use the full name, some only use the hebrew name.  My mom did a sound alike (as only my mom could pull offf) that my great grandfather Huna, sounded like Linda as she didn't like any H names.  My hebrew name is the feminie form, elchana.  I would recommend talking to your Rabbi if you have one you are close to.  I personally think that you have to do what you and DH are comfortable with and if you are both comfortable with the same sound-go for it!  In my opinion if you have in your heart you are honoring the person by naming after them, that's all that matters.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"