Austin Babies
Options

prenatal vitamins

you should start taking them once you start TTC right or am i supposed to start earlier than that? my doc gave me a script yesterday for the chewable variety since i have a hard time swallowing pills... i was overly excited about babies and her enthusiasm that i forgot to ask half my questions! haha.

we're still probably 6-8 months away from actually TTC... she just gave me everything I need so i wouldn't need to go back in.

(so much for yesterdays freak out. talking to the doctor got me in full on baby mode again!)

Re: prenatal vitamins

• Options
    It certainly wouldn't hurt to start taking them now, but my doctor wanted to be sure we were on them at least 3 months prior to becoming PG. It took us 8 months, and I'm convinced having taken them that whole time is why our bean is so healthy despite me being so sick! I built up a good store of nutrients for him/her to dip into. ;)
  • Options

Aw yay!

I know a few people who take them before TTC.  Could be wrong, but I don't think it could hurt.  

Help for Haiti: Learn What You Can Do

BFP 12.20.2010 :: missed m/c 1/2011 around 8 weeks
    BFP @ 9dpo 5.24.2011 :: missed m/c 6/2011 around 7 weeks
    positive for ANAs (1:40) with a speckled pattern
    MTHFR c677t mutation (heterozygous)
    *folic acid, baby asprin, Prometrium, acupuncture, Lovenox*
    BFP @ 9dpo 2.1.2012 || HCG = 8 : Progesterone = 19.2
    2nd HCG @ 11dpo = 40 || 3rd HCG @ 21dpo = over 5000!
    Stick, little one, stick! EDD October 15, 2012
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My doc recommended starting to take them about a year before we thought we'd TTC.  She also recommended a calcium suppliment because most prenatals don't provide enough calcium for pregnancy, but you can probably wait till you're actually actively TTC to take the calcium.  Unless you have trouble getting all your dairy and calcium rich foods in like I did.
  • Options
    prenatals are great vitamins--some women take them even if they aren't currently or planning on TTC. Go for it!
    Dear Bump: You suck.
  • Options
    My doc recommends starting them 6 months before TTC.  I look at it like, I need to take a vitamin anyway, might as well make it a prenatal.
  • Options
    I didn't take them, even when I was pregnant Embarrassed
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    wow the timeframe really seems to vary! but i was going to start taking vitamins anyway so i might as well take the prenatals!

i wonder how expensive these are going to be....
  • Options

My doctor started me on an OTC vitamin about 5-6 months before we knew we wanted to TTC.  It really made a difference in my day; I felt like I had more energy and I was in some way preparing myself and my body for when we did get pregnant. 

• Options
    I started taking them as soon as I went off of BC (back in Dec), but we weren't TTC yet.  I figured better safe than sorry just in case we had an accidental PG.  But I've also read in several places where they recommend you start them ~3 month before TTC. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    The maximum benefit is reached by starting 3 months prior to TTC. Rates of gestation diabetes, high blood pressure and other pregnancy complications have been show to be reduced at that timeframe. While of course having proper levels of folic acid "before you know you're even pregnant" is helpful for those who don't POAS as often as nesties do or know about 'cycle days'!!! More time is just healthy for you, doesn't impact a potential pregnancy. Less time is not harmful, but you'll just not realize any of the lowered risks of some of the above pregnancy complications.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"